Used 2003 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Toyota Tundra 2003
By Edward Oncken

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Driving and ownership experience is without complaint. The Tundra handles well and drives easily. My experience as an owner is such that I would consider a Toyota Tundra again when I am ready to purchase again. I have not had a bad experience with this vehicle. I do think that the interior design should allow for more room in the rear passenger area. The leg room is too cramped. The front is comfortable but I would like for the driver's seat to move backward more than it does; however, it is OK.

It's reliability and gas mileage is the very definite plus.

I would suggest the cab area be enlarged. The rear passenger in particularly. It is entirely too cramped for any distance driving.

Great truck!
By Ken

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It is the most comfortable truck I ever owned! The power from the 4.7 V8 is the most UNREAL powerhouse I have ever seen! The only thing I don't like is the quality of the seats. The foam inside the seat feels cheap and seems to feel worn out prematurely.

The powerful V8. It feels like a Hemi

Stiffer foam in the seats. Little more leg room for the passenger on the Access Cab model.

Bad paint, no comfort, Good drivetrain.
By canucksca

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased truck July 2003. List of problems I have had with this vehicle: 1) Rear seals on back of X-tra cab fixed due to rain water entering cab. 2) Fuel filler tube replaced because Check Engine light kept coming on. 3) Paint on driver's side door wore away and I had the entire door and front of the X-tra cab repainted at local body shop. Dealer agreed to pay for 1/2 of the repair. I declined offer, as I suspect there will be future problems with this. Other paint (salsa red pearl) peeling off of truck. 4) Factory Dunlop tires horrible. 5) X- tra cab uncomfortable. Not up to the standard for a Toyota. Marginal city MPG. Drivetrain excellent so far.

Lexus drivetrain is awesome. Responsive V-8. Drives smooth for a truck. With a tonneau cover on back, mileage has been between 18 and 19MPG on highway trips, otherwise MPG is between 13-15 in town. Nice loud stereo. Hauling performance is average+ but stack load near cab to avoid "floating".

Paint is substandard and should be a service bulletin/recall issue. Backseat is vertical and horrible. The tires will wear out faster than they should and I don't hot rod at all. Wish I had waited for the double cab Tacoma or Tundra. Final assembly in Indiana and it shows. Not Japanese quality.

Tough to beat
By rdambroso

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The only strike in my mind, is the back seats. They are almost 90 degrees straight up. I am also not crazy about the suicide doors. I believe the 05 and newer corrected both issues... so it's now the perfect truck!

Reliable, nice looks, simple. I've always thought a truck should have almost an Amish level of humility in it's looks. The Tundra is just a plain old simple great truck

Backseat, more of an incline. No suicide doors. I understand they have both been corrected in later models. Also, had to do front brakes and tires at 28K... what's up with that?

Excellent Truck
By Mat

2003 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Great reliable truck thats been in the family since new. Bought it off of my father, who just puchased a new Tundra. There has been no problems what so ever, as this truck has served my father right. Great design exterior/interior. Good solid truck.

Overall performance that has been put out by its powerful engine.

None that comes to mind