Used 2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

2003 Tundra Limited V8 4WD ext cab
By c. lusby

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab Limited 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The only big draw back with the Tundra 4 door for 2003, was the way the back doors open. You have to open the front door first, and the front and back doors open in opposite directions. It is very difficult, in a tight parking spot to open the front and back doors at the same time to put something in the back seat. This was corrected in 2004 by redesign and allowing the back door to be opened without opening the front door. There is no heated seat feature, and no time-out option on the head lights (only on the camper light over the truck bed) Other than the above, it is a fantastic truck, with plenty of power for towing, and I highly reccommend it to prospective buyers.

Power and comfort.

Mr. T for Me
By larryf1952

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

After 3+ years and almost 40K miles, the relationship between my Tundra (Mr. T) and myself is still a match made in heaven. All I've done to the truck is put Mobil 1 in it every 5K miles. It still drives rattle free and exhibits no vibrations or brake problems. The engine is fabulous, as is the transmission, and they are tuned to work perfectly together. Although my Tundra is looking at 4 years old, I continue to receive compliments on my "new" truck. That's one benefit of parking in the lower 40 and being the only driver. It's worth it to keep Mr. T looking good.

Engine & transmission, overall size... not too big, and not too small, solid build quality

AC is OK, but a bit weak, especially on very hot days. Cupholders are too small. Locking latch on center console (60/40 seats) has got to go, impossible to reach while seated, unless you're a Chinese acrobat.

Great Truck
By big jim

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

After 50000 miles driving, owning this truck I am throughly delighted with it. I would like a larger truck to tow our fifth wheel with and am eagerly awaiting the 2007.

Reliability !!!

Brakes need upgrading.

Not what they used to be...
By RickThompson2

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my truck brand new in march of '02. I heard good things in the past about toyota but soon found they couldnt handle the load of a worktruck like an american pickup. Paid 26,500 for my SR5 4x4 V8.. bad decision. While traveling though new mexico at 4800 miles my axle wentt bad in the rear, started to whine and went out, had to be towed.. at 28000 my transfer case wouldnt shift into 4x4 and started to grind, left me stranded in the mud looking like a fool, it was defective, my stereo soon went out, along with my passenger window.. im no complainer so i overlooked all those ridiculous problems, then at 42k my brakes failed and at 75k my tranny was slipping like ive never seen.

not sure.. the 4x4 was good after it was repaired.. ok looking truck, still not up to par with the beasts out of detroit.

quality control, needs more power, couldnt pull my 8k trailer up tehachapi doing more than 15mph, put a new tranny in it.. just too many problems for a truck of that price.. sold it for 14k in 2005 and bought a chevy, best choice i made.

Excellent All-Round Truck
By chichitao

2003 Toyota Tundra Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SR5 Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This has been an excellent truck. Bought it brand new in 3/03 and have not had it in for any kind of repairs what-so-ever. I have used it for all sorts of things...around town, travelling long distances, hauling light and heavy loads. No problems with the paint as others have mentioned...however, I keep mine in the garage when possible and wax it at least twice per year. The gas mileage, while not great compared to a car, is better than any truck or even SUV i've ever had. I avg 16mpg, and that is mostly city driving (range is 13-21). Excellent build quality and ride from a truck. Take care of your vehicle and it will take care of you!

Power is great in this truck, good for hauling or passing. I love the size of it and the looks. Its big enough for me, but isn't massive like most other truck makers. This is an almost perfect truck in my opinion.

Some complain about the back seats...they are small but you could tell that when you bought it. Its perfect for me b/c I use that space as cargo space. Interior is a little bland, but as one user stated he prefers the Amish look for a truck...i agree. Trucks arent meant to be pretty!