Used 2000 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Tundra

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Has been a great truck!
By TW

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought with 36k in 2002. Only problem is O2 sensor went out but I elected not to fix for $300. Runs fine. Other than that still runs like new, comfortable on the road and does what I need off road.

Awesome engine and transmission, smooth and powerful. I plan to keep this as my truck for who knows how long. 10 more years to 200k?

Hey it does everything I need. CD acts up in cold weather and frustrating that O2 sensor is under seat and expensive to fix.

Good little truck
By Jason

2000 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab LB

Ever since I bought it, this truck has been nothing but reliable. The one problem I have had has been with brake rotors. After turning the existing rotors and eventually replacing them with new ones, I've pretty much given up on a shake-free ride. However, on rough terrain, I have never owned anything more solid. My Dodge diesel feels like it's going to disintegrate if I get off the pavement, but not the Tundra. It has decent power for such a small V6, but the fuel economy isn't that great when taken in context with the small body size. I can get 20 mpg. if I baby it, but other than that, 17.5 is about average. 24-25 mpg. in high altitude, though. This is one tough little truck!

Relatively good pulling power for engine size. Most transmission and engine maintenance points are easily accessible. Suspension is particularly good for such a small pickup.

Fuel mileage! A truck this small should be CONSISTENTLY getting around 25 mpg. I suspect that a little bit of intake work couldn't hurt, because a K&N filter did help my mileage a bit. Since I use it as a work truck, it could really use tougher seat and interior materials.

Poor Exhaust Manifolds
By HQ

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is great and will really go through the snow. Fun to drive but a little heavy on the gas. Biggest problem is cracked exhaust manifolds. Took truck to Toyota dealer and they want almost $900 just for the manifolds plus labor and gaskets. In doing some internet research this seems to be a standard problem and Toyota refuses to acknowledge it and take care of the problem. This is the first time I have known Toyota to not cover a defect. Remember they bought back all the Tacomas with bad frames but they refuse to take care of this. I love the truck but I can't say my next truck will be a Toyota.

Really tight and the paint is excellent. Other than normal maintenance it never needs a thing.

Step up to the plate Toyota and take care of your customers who put their faith in you when they bought these tundras. Do the right thing.

Great Truck
By frankofgeorgia

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck brand new. I've owned a Ford F150 and a Nissan pickup. This has been the best truck by far. The ride is more like driving a car than a truck. The V8 has more than enough power; I pull a trailer for work and never had any problems pulling up very steep inclines. I use this truck for hunting and have not gotten stuck yet (2wd). I have 117,000 miles and still drives like new. Other than routine maintenace, I've had to replace 4 O2 sensors three on front and one on rear; there are four total on the V8. The factory toyota front brakes rotors will only last 30,000 miles. I got an aftermarket set which came with a lifetime warranty and are holding up better.

Design, power from V8, ride, reliable

Better O2 sensor

Lived to tell
By Tom Clark

2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 V8 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This was an excellent vehicle for my family. I purchased based on the history of quality and safety of Toyota products. It was an excellent truck. I recently was hit at a high speed and rolled it at least twice... and I was safe and secure in the cab with minor bumps and bruises. My next vehicle will be another Tundra.

Safety, reliability, comfort.

They succumbed to market pressure and increased the size of the 2007 model. This is a shame. This truck fit a market niche for people that need a truck, but not a monster truck.