Used 1996 Toyota Tercel Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Tercel

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Tercel baby love
By sharon

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 8 years ago and it now has 134,000 miles. I plan on getting to 250,000. As a tall person, 5'10, I wish it had a bit more room. It's totally reliable, easy to park in the city. Got flooded a few years ago and started on the first turn of the key. While other cars were being towed, only the upholstery needed cleaning.

Love, love, love the gas mileage!! 33 MPG city.

Wish it were higher off the ground.

There really is nothing better!
By sin-titulo

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

My father purchased this car for less than $2000 about 4 years ago from a co-worker, intending to let me drive it while working towards getting my license. It was at 106,000k at the time, and is now at 160,000k. I have never known a better car. It started without any problems when the temperature was -30, runs smoothly and I can trust it to get me from A to B and then some(!) without ever breaking down. Gas mileage averages 38 mpg. This is my first car, and will be my last as well. I intend to keep it until it literally rusts and falls to pieces.

Small car, easy to maneuver, low maintenance and incredibly reliable.

Nothing, except I think there should be more cars like this on the road.

Great value, great mpg
By SherryB

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

We bought this car as a commuter vehicle, and have been very impressed. I'm shocked that it doesn't hold its value better, because it runs and drives just as well now as it did in 1996. It's still very reliable and gets about 39 mpg. Its only disadvantage is it's kinda loud.

Gas mileage, reliability.

1996 Toyota Tercel DX
By michael

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

I may have been favoring it a bit in the ratings system but it depends what your comparing it to. As far as suiting its purpose, this is a very reliable car. Complaints about its lack of power are crazy if you ask me. I used boesch platinum twin spark plugs combined with castrol gtx motor oil and proper maintenance it is the perfect car for a daily commuter, and or somone who enjoys driving eficient non intrusive eco friendly, did I mention reliable, vehicle for less than 5,000 dollars.

O/D and a wonderful second gear.

More aftermarket upgrades and wider standard issue tires. And a bit more agressive front end.

a lasting forever car
By sean

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I owned this car when it was 80k, and now it is 145k. Never had any problem, and I feel the accelaration is alright since mine is a 4-speed manual, and actually it is quicker than 80% of those none-sports beside you if you push ot harder. The original tire is quite thin, so I change the tires and I think that's a must. I am well prepared to see one day this car dies but that didn't happen, and now this car's engine still powerful and only little bit noise coming from the engine. I think it can still run 20000 without problem.So I cannot wait to get another new car from toyota (a Scion tc) but I will keep it as well.The gas mileage is now around 35 (highway, local combined), and it used to be 40.

Gas saver, long life

For this car none, the purpose of this car is to run and run.