Used 1996 Toyota Tercel Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Tercel

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Toyota
By johnnyb

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Only had this rig for about 8 months. Bought it w/170,000 now has 184,000. Runs great, starts on the coldest days. 0-60 in 11.8 while my girlfriends 05 Cavalier only ran 11.5. Very reliable rig. Plan to run her til she dies

gas mileage.

all used cars should come with speakers

Great car
By bjjohnson

1996 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

We bought this car as a program car in 1998 with 30,000 miles on it. It now has 232000 miles, still gets 42 mpg and is just now starting to require a lot of maintenance and repair. We took it on a 2 week, 4200 mile trip and it was very comfortable and performed well both on long stretches of interstate and in the city.

reliability and fuel economy

Little car with lots of heart
By debersue

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I bought this car brand new and never expected to keep it this long. It's peppy and very low maintenance so I'm keeping it until it dies. So far I have 150,000 miles with no sign of stopping. I love this car!

Peppy, and a cute body style (I had the factory spoiler installed). Dependable when it's cold and steady in the snow and ice. Plenty of power to pass up more expensive cars when driving over the mountain passes. Low maintenance and high MPG make it a great car.

Lots of road noise on the highway and only one cupholder for front passengers.

Ode to My Tercel
By billjriv

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

You go down in history as one of the best cars ever invented. I love my Tercel and she has been through everything with me through thick and thin. Keeps going and going. I wish they'd bring back the Tercel like the old wagons with 4wd. You could camp in them, haul stuff around they were the perfect car, even for a family. This 96 model is great, it is a great cheap car with the gas mileage similar to a Prius for $20000 less.

Gas mileage, I get about 37-44 MPG, reliability.

Could have made the exterior metal out of something a little thicker but that would add to weight and what can you expect for something so cheap, it's already a Cadillac compared to most of the big fat gas hogs on the road now.

Love this car
By Big_Mikey

1996 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

Purchased car new (11/95) and has been a great car. During years 2001-2006 car was driven often from LA to Las Vegas in excessive heat. Replaced engine at 171K with used engine (84K) and car continues to run like new. Avoided fancy options other than A/C and auto transmission. Performed regular and proper service on car and interior/exterior is in great shape for 12 year old car. I plan to keep this car for several more years and often people make offers for the car. 26 MPG city as much as 33 MPG hwy. Always use just 87 octane and regular 10W30 motor oil every 4000. Now that I am living in Las Vegas, I keep an eye on coolant and transmission oil more closely. I will never sell!

You can park it just about anywhere. You can hide it behind a tree! A little tight if you are taller than 5'7 or havier than 180 for a man. More a woman's car than man's car, perhaps. A/C seems to work great and does not need any service.

Passenger seat safety belt needs major improvement. Almost every woman I have had in the passenger seat complains how uncomfortable it is. Car is a bit noisy and bumps are tough at times. I tried bigger tires but they did not change ride. Car did not come with rear defogger. My last Corolla did.