2013 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Review: Too many quirks

2013 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Review

PreRunner Double Cab (2.7L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic 5.0 ft. Bed)

Too many quirks
By markymarc on

2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I find it hard to believe how many people have blind loyalty to these trucks. There are countless issues with them if you just look them up on forums and blogs. I have most of the problems people complain about: Drive line vibrations, brake shutter, wheel shutter, loud dashboard creaks and rattles. The whole truck shakes like crazy when I try to accelerate hard from a dead stop. The engine is chirping like there's a belt problem. The valves clatter when the water temp is cold. I practically have to wait for the water temp to get to normal running level before it stops. I love the truck and I want to keep it forever, but I get the feeling it either won't hold up or I'll grow to resent it.
***Update: It has been 4.5 years, 87,500 miles and not much has changed. The belt noise wasn't the belt at all. No one could figure it out. Dealer charged me for belt replacement and when that didn't fix it, they tried to tell me it was the A/C compressor. Not until I took the truck in for a recall to replace the catalytic converter did the noise go away. Valves still clatter and click when cold. Driveline vibration is just as bad if not worse and now I hear what I think are the u-joints chirping. There's also a gear whine coming from powertrain. Sound like the differential. There's now mildew in the window guides on every door. After a rain, it's putrid. The windshield wipers started to howl like crazy. They start relatively quiet, but when you drive a while in the rain they get louder and louder. Been on my third set of different tires. Different brand, different style and no tire store can balance the wheels. I've isolated it to one wheel, but no one can figure it out because it shows balance. Took the wheel off the truck and had it looked at for a possible bend or some sort of irregularity, but there's nothing wrong with it. I remember having this problem within the first month of ownership. Dealer kept the truck for weeks to figure it out. One day they told me it was their machine. Had to send it next door to Lexus for balance. Problem was gone. Next set of tires, same problem. Live with it until the next set where I purchase very, very expensive, high quality Michelin's. Same problem now a different wheel. Took the truck to a vibration specialist. They load balanced all the wheels at 80mph and the problem went away. Ask the tech why this is so critical and why so expensive. He says some vehicles are prone to it. It's a characteristic of the car/truck. It's expensive because there are only two places in town to get it done: His place and Lexus. Wow! it all makes sense now. Point is: Toyota is well aware these trucks have issues, so why do anything about it? They still have little competition. Plus, they are riding on the coat tails of loyal customers, good word of mouth and long term reliability. Well, all I can say is nothing else has broke on the truck so far, but I've own lots of cars past 150-200K miles and honestly, once you get past 100K, they tend to all hold up comparably. I've had Honda, Kia, Chevy, Ford, Mitusbishi and VW. The two cars I've had the fewest problems with and kept the longest? Kia, Mitsubishi and Honda in order of most mileage. Toyota in my opinion is nothing special.

• Braking

• Rear seats
  • Noise and vibration
  • Repair frequency
  • Dealership support

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review