Used 2011 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Absolute Garbage!
By mongre

2011 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have now owned 4 Toyotas.
Excluding a late 80s base model Tacoma, this is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I will be slow to purchase a Toyota again.

Cheap materials, cramped and awkward interior, an endless supply of mechanical failures. I am happy to say goodbye.

I spent hours haggling over the Cruise Control failing at 70.
Toyota made every excuse yet blamed me & the terrain (small incline).

1 engine out of 12 takes synthetic.
Of course my dealership filled it with standard and replaced it so the engine could sound like a VW bug for a while.

Two...yes TWO rear bearings, a differential and a front strut later and this has been in the shop more than my last 3 cars combined!

I purchased the vehicle because of the resale rates. Plain and simple i needed an efficient truck to haul things now and again, and do light duty work. The truck looks nice on the interior at first glance but you quickly realize everything is plastic. This truck fulfilled my desire as one would expect any pickup would. That's about where my fondness ends.

Make a decent vehicle, Toyota. You're slipping in to the mentality that quality doesn't matter. While i can actually lean against this truck without it causing a huge dent in the panel, unlike my last Tacoma, i find this truck a far stretch from being a "quality" ride.

4 cylinder, 4x4 Tacoma with 4 speed automatic
By nedreck

2011 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Overall the truck has been pretty good. The acceleration of the 4 cylinder in this model with the 4 wheel drive and 4 speed automatic transmission is poor, and fourth gear is way too high for this engine's modest power and torque level and the shift points are all wrong, in my opinion.

It always starts and runs well for me, but the blower fan has been replaced twice under warranty.

Lots of storage places in the cab, and a lot of room behind the seats for a standard cab midsized truck. Composite cargo bed needs no bed liner to protect paint as a steel bed might. Good leg room. Tight turning circle. Very nice stock headlights for seeing well at night.

It it very reluctant to downshift when it is in "drive" and when it eventually kicks down the third gear it tries to get back up into fourth too early. The result is that going up even a gentle hill at 65-70 MPH or so, it will not maintain speed. When the accelerator is pressed hard enough for long enough, it goes down into third gear and accelerates back up to speed, but when the accelerator is let up slightly to keep that speed, it goes into fourth and slows down again. In order to keep steady speed on hills like this, it is often necessary to manualy shift into third gear and leave it there to the top of the hill. Terrible.

Surprised by quality issues
By tdahl79

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My husband has a special place in his heart for the Toyota Tacoma, always has.
We bought him his 2nd one, brand new only not long ago and now it has 7,000 mi. on it.
It just started making an odd sound.
We took in into the shop and were told that since the computer wasn't showing a code, they couldn't do anything.
So, my husband looked at it at home and found that the fan shroud was rubbing.
We it back up there & they decided this time they would actually look at it.
They took it apart and found that the fan shroud was being affected by the radiator that was warped!
Next, they found that all that was caused by a broken motor mount bolt.
Week in the shop!
We are not hard on vehicles.

Small truck but pretty roomy, even with 3 kids. Not bad comfort or fuel mileage.

Build inspections?

SUV with a bed
By bart25

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Tacoma has its limitations, but going to a Tacoma from a full size Ford F-250 will take something to get used to. I purchaced it cause I was sick and tired of getting 11 mpg with my Ford. When picking out a new Tacoma the test ride in the automatic was totally unacceptable the way the transmission would constantly shift up and down everytime I touched the gas pedal so I was ready to walk away but the salesman said he had a 6 speed manual shift 4 door, but I said NO! no manual for me, so he insulted me saying I couldn't drive a manual, but when I took the manual for a ride I LOVED it and took it home.

Brakes: first truck I ever owned were the brakes work excellent, the quick in and out of the 4X4, (other trucks you have to wait for the 4X4 to engage) tight turning radis

seats need a higher from the floor adjustment, feels like you're sitting in the floor. unstable at high speeds, doesn't have that feel where the tires are glued to the road, where the wind blows it around, maybe its because of the weight and the weak suspension

Best truck ever!
By itsmatthew

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been shopping around for a new truck for over a year now.
I have test drove and researched every single one and this is by far the best truck out there.
I was initially looking for a full size for my 4 kids but with the double cab, their carseats fit with ease.
The interior is very nice and the seats are the most comfortable I have ever sat in.
If you are going to get it I would highly recommended the TRD Sport package, because it handles like no other.
As far as reliability, I can't speak on that for this one (2011), but I did have a 2000 Tacoma for 12 years and it was bullet proof, nothing but normal maintenance until the 125,000 mile spot.

TRD SPort package (fantastic handling), can make a u-turn effortlessley now, could not do this in my 2000 Tacoma. Seats are incredibly comfortable. Tons of room in double cab Bedliner with rail system is very nice Sport package makes the truck look great. Nice storage under the seats

Radio is a little quiet if you don't have the JBL upgrade. Engine ticks a little at idle and during initial acceleration but this is normal to the upgraded vvti design and makes the performance way better than past models. (don't hear the tick, always driving with radio on).