Used 2011 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

SUV with a bed
By bart25

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Tacoma has its limitations, but going to a Tacoma from a full size Ford F-250 will take something to get used to. I purchaced it cause I was sick and tired of getting 11 mpg with my Ford. When picking out a new Tacoma the test ride in the automatic was totally unacceptable the way the transmission would constantly shift up and down everytime I touched the gas pedal so I was ready to walk away but the salesman said he had a 6 speed manual shift 4 door, but I said NO! no manual for me, so he insulted me saying I couldn't drive a manual, but when I took the manual for a ride I LOVED it and took it home.

Brakes: first truck I ever owned were the brakes work excellent, the quick in and out of the 4X4, (other trucks you have to wait for the 4X4 to engage) tight turning radis

seats need a higher from the floor adjustment, feels like you're sitting in the floor. unstable at high speeds, doesn't have that feel where the tires are glued to the road, where the wind blows it around, maybe its because of the weight and the weak suspension

Best truck ever!
By itsmatthew

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been shopping around for a new truck for over a year now.
I have test drove and researched every single one and this is by far the best truck out there.
I was initially looking for a full size for my 4 kids but with the double cab, their carseats fit with ease.
The interior is very nice and the seats are the most comfortable I have ever sat in.
If you are going to get it I would highly recommended the TRD Sport package, because it handles like no other.
As far as reliability, I can't speak on that for this one (2011), but I did have a 2000 Tacoma for 12 years and it was bullet proof, nothing but normal maintenance until the 125,000 mile spot.

TRD SPort package (fantastic handling), can make a u-turn effortlessley now, could not do this in my 2000 Tacoma. Seats are incredibly comfortable. Tons of room in double cab Bedliner with rail system is very nice Sport package makes the truck look great. Nice storage under the seats

Radio is a little quiet if you don't have the JBL upgrade. Engine ticks a little at idle and during initial acceleration but this is normal to the upgraded vvti design and makes the performance way better than past models. (don't hear the tick, always driving with radio on).

love it
By rkirchoff

2011 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

lots of power, rides nice, corners great, gets 18.8mpg city/hwy so far.

truck sits as high as full-sized. very roomy. lots of leg-room for tall drivers. v6 provides top-notch performance.

move the glasses holder to a different location. if left open, i will bump it with my head as i enter the truck which is very painful. offer leather seats. offer electric seats. get michelin tires instead of dunlops. driver's seat sits too high for me. also the hood scoop...get rid of it since it is not functional.

Great Truck
By sigjuliussen

2011 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Love my truck, have had for 9,000 miles and I get 23 on highway and 18 in the city.
Great off road.
When towing a T@b trailer 1900 lbs need to down shift when going up Alaska mountains.
If much heavier trailer I would suggest the V6.
Pulls the T@b up mountains 65mph.

Off road, reliability

Better paint

Exactly what I needed.
By gardnetm

2011 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Tacoma about a week ago, so I can't really speak for the reliability of the vehicle yet, but so far I'm still looking for every excuse possible to drive it.
I was looking for a compact (a relative term in the truck market today) pickup mostly for my short commute to work and for the occasional weekend trips to Ikea.
I don't have a big budget or a need for excessive features in a vehicle.
I just need an inexpensive, reliable, versatile vehicle that'll keep up with me and this truck fits the bill perfectly.

A/C system takes the cab from 100 degrees to Igloo in about 20 seconds. Very good turning radius. 21.1 gallon tank means I have to fill up about every month and a half with my driving habits. I can feel most bumps in the road, but even at highway speeds, nothing is ever harsh. The ride is very smooth and very comfortable. The truck also rides high enough to give me a commanding view of the road without being unnecessarily bulky or hard to maneuver. Also, the sturdy composite material that the bed is made out of relieves any need for an additional Rhino lining or similar.

For the 2x4 Regular cab, I'd like better seating options (40/60 bench would be nice). I'd also like a little more room behind the seats for storing something more than a few sheets of paper. Better gas mileage is always wanted. While this model is equal to or better than most of its competitors, I still feel like the 4cyl, 2x4 model should get better than ~21 combined after so many model iterations. Also, how about someone tries to bring back the actual "compact" pickup again!? Until that happens, I'll continue to enjoy this truck.