Used 2010 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Toyota Tacoma 2010 Bought New
By blipnick

2010 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Problems:
- Uncomfortable Seats
- Uneven Pedals (clutch pedal is higher than the others) , foot is trapped between top of clutch pedal and underside of dash when releasing clutch (wearing workboots, 6 Ft. tall driver)
- Stereo system is weak. Use of Aux. input requires turning volume up full.
- Gas mileage is poor (25 MPG highway).
- Stock rims rusting after 6 months.
- 4 wheel drive switch not illuminated.
- Requires multiple turn overs to start.

Toyota really needs to work on their ergonomics. Had to adjust the driver's seating position to avoid foot entrapment with the clutch pedal. Started rusting a little quickly for my tastes. How about a stainless steel exhaust system like other manufacturers? (Maybe a non metallic gas tank as well ?) I expect more given it's price tag.

build mistakes
By rmulder

2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

the tacoma is an awsome truck with a few small but, painfull errors 1: the ABS and traction contol is too overwhelming(its the reason i lost my first truck.)2: the heater motors have issues and why cant the trucks heater and A/C work better, i can drive for 2 hours on full A/C and im still sweating.3: the rear shocks piled up on me on the last cold snap and now my truck is like an old suburban and never stops bouncing and the rear springs squeak everytime my truck moves.4: there is also a nice leak coming out from inbetween the tranny and motor. its all nagging me and getting old!!!! kind of sucky for 22000 KM.

nice torquey motor+ good tranny and transfer case= a lot of fun. the air bags work very well!

heater fan must be better built

Water Infiltration
By john1961

2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am wondering if anyone else had water infiltration problems caused by incomplete seal behind cab. I could see the water clearly under the mat and the dealer found that the joint on the cab between cab and box was poorly done. They repaired the joint and replaced the foam beneath the carpet however there was always a smell in the truck. I recently brought it in and they agreed about the smell but wanted me to pay for some canister they would use to eliminate all odours, I had to argue my point despite them knowing full well the problem was real.
I had ducks waiting to get in there was so much water inside

Very happy with my first truck
By tynash

2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have almost 25,000 miles on my new truck, drove away from dealership with 164 miles in Jan 2010. Nothing short of impressed. Big enough to get the job done, but small enough to still fit in the garage. Did months of research before selecting this specific truck, read other reviews. Almost went with the auto, but reviews were night and day, some sort of "gear hunting" issue specific to the auto trans. The only issue I had was the blower motor which the dealership said was common to the Tacoma's lately. Manufacturing tolerances in the motor were incorrect, causing a squeaking sound when you turn the fan on. They replaced the blower motor earlier this year and the squeak has not come back.

Traction and stability are amazing. Drove through one of the worst snowstorms I've ever seen last winter, only got stuck attempting to pass through a snowbank I knew was too big. Mileage has been great for what the sticker said. It started low, (as it will for any new vehicle, through the break-in process), maybe 16-17mpg. I now routinely get between 21-22. A tip for others, (and I'm in no way, shape or form affiliated with Shell), but I definitely noticed an improvement in mileage switching to that brand of gas. It drops any time I fill up anywhere else, using only 87 octane, nothing special.

The Dunlop AT20's are garbage, low-cost tires. After only 10,000-15,000 miles, the water grooves on the side are gone, leaving solid blocks that don't allow water to escape. Hydroplaning is inevitable. No one I've spoken to has been happy with these tires on their vehicles. Ride comfort otherwise is great, as long as its not raining!

Suspension Problems
By john1961

2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very disappointed with the weak suspension caused by poor design.
This is my 3rd Toyota truck and after poor response from Toyota Canada probably my last.
For the sake of $350.00 for a solution they are willing to lose a longtime loyal client.
If anyone has had success with Toyota to correct the problem I would like to know.
Toyota were once known for their quality and durability but now I feel it's all about money