Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

HIghly disappointed.
By steve3003

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I WAS excited about my new truck. Then the following things happened, in no particular order: I realized JUST HOW SHORT the bed was. My Transmission slipped-- repeatedly. My radio turned off... and on... and off... I learned that the 4.0 V-6 power is a lightweight, and tediously boring to drive. (Even when the transmission does what it's supposed to. I learned that a slow, boring engine can STILL only get 18 MPG. I learned that there actually are $30,000.00 vehicles today without intermittent wipers. I learned that there actually are $30,000.00 vehicles today without remote entry. I learned that I should have kept my Dakota. Toyota-- you can do better.

Transmission "fix" still leaves the truck lurching; Get the gas pedal done; replace all stereos at dealer cost with aftermarkets; stop trying to hide behind your reputation for quality, because I don't see it; put an engine under the hood that moves... or at least gets 25 mpg. Either one.

AIR LEAKS/BAD BRAKES
By Bob nebeker

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

The rear doors leak air and water, The brakes go to the floor, The radio comes on and off whenever. Other then that it could be a nice Vic.

floor mats

5sp Tacoma Good Value
By Frank

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2.7 liter with 5 speed, as I commute with my truck. No need for 4x4, only raises insurance. Get very good gas mileage all around. Run 89 octane. Acceleration not too bad, although if going too slow in second gear but too fast for first gear, engine bogs a bit before rpms rise. Performance improved with a K & N filter. The bench seat is comfortable, although the center seat is ridiculous. Should have been an armrest or storage bin in center, like my 86 Toyota pickup. The stereo is not high fidelity by any stretch of the imagination, so I plan on upgrading soon. Many complaints on the blogs about 09 stereos. Recommend deflector for hood. It helps stop pebbles hitting windshield.

Drivers view from cab is good for a 4x2. Reasonably comfortable bench seat. Tilt/telescopic steering wheel is nice feature. Factory bedliner and sliding tie-downs are awesome. Rear sliding window option very useful. Limited slip differential is excellent for rear drive truck.

Get rid of the useless center seat. Replace the factory stock stereo with something better, or offer optional upgrade on base models. Intermittent wipers would be nice option on base truck, but manage without.

OK but...
By greg

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I try to get every mile per gallon I can and with this truck I have been able to squeeze 28mpg on the highway and about 25 around town with over inflated tires. It's comfy but... I am a carpenter and when the bed is loaded to about half capacity the head lights are aimed too high and there is no adjustment, the radio turns on and off randomly and has been replaced (still does it) the seat belts get tangled in the rear door, when I use 4 way flashers the dash lights up like Christmas tree, passenger seat belt warning goes on for no reason, ice gets stuck somewhere behind dash and it sounds like a bowling alley.

Lots of air bags, back up camera, radio sounds good when working, comfy seats, cute but functional little storage compartments in cargo area. Nice ride if you want a car.

Bigger front doors, adjustable head light angle, better seat belt retractors, better (stiffer) rear springs.

TERRIBLE TRANSMISSION
By David Legat

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very unhappy with my Toyota Tacoma truck. I purchased the TRD Sport thinking if I paid for the most I would receive the most. Come to find out after driving it for a few hundred miles the transmission stinks. It seems like it has no idea when to shift into the right gear. When turning left or right under 10 mph it feels like it is out of gear so it revs up then drops into 1st gear "very scary". It also lugs when under 30 mph. I have had it back to the Toyota dealer a couple of times asking what the problem is and can it be fixed? The last time in the District Service Rep & Service Mgr. test drove it. And they determined the vehicle is "operating normal and as designed". "Do Not Buy One"

The looks and the stereo.

Do something about the transmission. These transmissions should be re-called and swapped out for a transmission that works right.