Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Toyota Never Again
By Nick

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very disappointed with the Tacoma. So far the engine sounds like a diesel engine, its burns oil when first started and the stereo has a mind of its own (on, off, on, off volume up and down by itself). Toyota factory rep. says everything is normal. It's safe to say that I will never acquire another Toyota again. Back to my Jeeps.

Back up camera.

2009 Tacoma extended cab
By A Lincoln

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Great truck and fun, comfortable to drive. I've only had it a short time, but know I will enjoy the vehicle. I know some reviews say the ride is stiff, but it rides more like a car than a truck. I got the SR5 package and have no complaints, wish my old 89 Toyota Truck had the ride this one has.

The big plus for this truck would be its quick get-up and go, it's only a four cylinder, but it goes. The bed liner and the adjustable hold downs are great. I do a lot of hauling, lumber and such and so far everything has been easy to tie down.

The only thing I would suggest is get rid of the metal look on the center radio area it looks like something a kid would like but for me it takes away from the otherwise great look of the interior.

Great Little Truck!
By Dave

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Only had my Taco for two weeks, but I love it! Interior is laid out logically, and is more comfortable and roomy than I expected. The engine is quiet and peppy even though the tranny has rather high gearing (75 mph at 2500 rpms). The 5sp manual shifts easily and smoothly. The ride is smooth and extremely quiet for a truck. Handling is average, but drives like a car on the highway. Radio and A/C work great. The standard tires and rims don't do much for the looks but ride great and are quiet.

Love the interior except for the low seats. The composite bed is great. A/C will freeze you. Quiet ride.

Seats are comfortable but need a height adjustment. Never have liked Toyota's "tilt wheel".

Best taco I've ever bought
By slyonEI

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Drives like a car on the road most of the time. Drives like a sports car on the dirt roads. 4 seats - 9 cup holders. Very cold A/C. Surprisingly good on gas considering its size. Only real gripes are the always-on speedo lighting (fine until it's dark, then you become popular with the police 'cuz you thought the lights were on). And wipers. I live in the northeast - there is no intermittent setting on the wipers. My '99 base model corolla had that! If it's drizzling it's a pain to hit that every 5 seconds. You put a/c in the thing and power windows...and 9 cup holders. Couldn't you do that Toyota?

Nice ride. Rugged looking. Good on gas. Shifts well. Awesome off-road. Ice cold a/c. Lots of storage.

One extra notch on the wipers would make some 9's 10's. I don't know who was asleep at the wheel on that decision.

Excellent truck
By johnpend1

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

My previous truck was a "plain vanilla" 1993 4-cyl 2-WD Toyota pickup, so this was quite an upgrade. Power windows! AC! Reviews describing as a car on the inside, truck on the outside are accurate. Enough power so far, and the auto tranny seems OK. A great all-around vehicle for driving and light hauling.

Interior is great - well laid out, comfortable, and functional. Back-up cam is useful. Bed with a pre-installed liner and movable tiedowns will be useful. Ride seems quiet to me - only 500 miles so far.

Dashboard lights are always "on" as far as I can tell (but can be manually dimmed to "off"). As noted by others, the breaks are a little mushy, but work well once you're used to them.