Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Very happy with my 3rd new 4WD Taco
By gw7

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy with my 3rd 4WD SR5 Access cab. Previously I owned a 1988 and 1999 both were 4-cyls-std. My latest is a 6-auto with TRD Sport Package. Like others my 3rd radio solved the problem, but otherwise this truck is great. I use it as a daily driver but often trailer full sized cars, which it handles easily. I test drove several different Tacos, and a Frontier before picking the TRD Sport. I found the Off-Road too stiff, and the regular SR5 seats lacking. I have no issues with the seating position some reviews mention. The engine is noisy at idle with the hood open, but I don't consider the engine noisy at high speed on the highway. Great truck!

Extensive safety features, V6 power, towing capacity, Toyota reliability and quality, TRD seats, composite bed, LED tail-lights.

The TRD sport ride is still stiff. More high end options such as leather and heated seats.

One Year Later
By slyonEI

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my truck one year now. Some marks have dropped a bit I am sure. The 4 cyl w/ the 4x4 and extended cab is adequate most of the time. The only time I notice it bogging out is on the highway going up a big hill. If you're going 70 mph prepare to drop to fourth to maintain 60 mph. Mixed feelings on the traction control; it, along with the abs seem to do more harm than good. Don't be afraid to turn it off (in the right circumstances that can be a lot of fun). Fuel economy is pretty good (~23 mpg. Lot of city driving). Excellent in the 50-60 mph range (keep the revs under 2k). My Buddy just bought a ranger, I'm shaking my head at the "deal" he got vs what he'll spend in gas. She's a tank.

Adjustable tie downs, car-like handling, fuel economy, off-road fortitude, ladies like it, 9 cup holders, plastic bed, storage cubbyholes, stereo.

2 speed wipers? traction control, bolts to bed & anchors for tailgate starting to rust, sure would like to see a nice little diesel like the Euros can get.

Good reliable truck
By Dan

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Tacoma brand new. All in all this is a good vehicle, but parts are rather pricey ($225 for a tail light which got cracked accidentally). Four cylinder engine is alright in the power department, the five speed manual shifts easily, and the 4x4 performs excellent in the snow, I mean rock solid! I've had this truck 32k miles and did nothing to it mechanically, besides regular maintenance. Too bad I have to sell, need to get rid of the payments.

The part-time 4 wheel drive. The stock radio/CD player is excellent sound quality! Fuel economy is about 20-22 mpg on the highway. 17 mixed driving.

The interior design quality. Surfaces scratch and stain easily, even if you're careful. More plastic in and on this vehicle than I had hoped for. Interior room a little sparse, recommend extended cab.

A number of issues
By Dan

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck in June '09. Radio turned on and off by itself. (Dealer replaced, took 6 months). First time I washed grill paint flaked off in chunks(Dealer replaced). When purchased dealer outsourced bed cover- problem? Toyota does not make locking tailgates parts-outsourced. Waited 5 months on a generic brand from Canada. Truck is very dependable-gas mileage could be better-13-18 tops. If I had to do over again, I will go back to my Ford F150.

2009 sr5 double cab 4x4, my mistake
By joe

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Not happy with build quality, ventilation system did not work and Windows fogged very badly but was repaired under warranty. Air conditioner is very weak on hot days, after 4 trips to dealer it is better but still not what I expected from Toyota. The radio turns itself off and on during hot weather, still not replaced by dealer. Paint job is not consistent and has foreign material in it. Lots of wind noise. Rear springs bottom out easily with very light loads. Composite bed tie downs should be in front of bed not rear. I can not believe I have to go to dealer to check the auto trans. Fluid level. Beware Toyota quality is no longer what it once was. I think I will soon be driving a f150

high resale, 4x4, backup camera, fold down rear seats with lots of storage under and behind them, fuel mileage.

improve the design and build quality, cut down on wind noise, install a light for the bed, go back to a steel bed with real truck springs under it, install a dip stick on the auto trans. so checking the fluid level is not a dealer only thing.