Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Disappointing first 12000 miles
By AL

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my truck February of 08. I have a factory-installed roof rack that leaked from the drivers side rail into the cabin with only 8000 mi that took 2 times to fix. My passenger floor board had to be re-welded because of squeaking noise that sounds like metals buckling whenever I drive over uneven pavements. Oh, they have to remove my passenger side front door, my steering wheel and my entire dashboard area just gain access to that one particular spot. My new car smell didn't last but a couple of months which was replaced by the aroma of a freshly welded metals which by the way lingered for more than 3 mos. I've owned 4 different Toyotas in the past. 08 Tacoma is a disappointment.

I like the smooth ride and the supposedly reliability factor that comes with the brand.

Quit cutting corners and bring back the reliability and good reputation that gave you success and won many support of even the most critical and anti import fan.

As Advertised
By BillM

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have driven my truck about 36,000 miles in 10 months(outside sales w/large territory). Power and handling are excellent for a truck. Mileage stays between 21.5 and 22 with mostly highway driving. Previously drove a Colorado for 150,000 miles. Toyota power and quieter ride are a serious upgrade. Used to have to pull off the road in the Chevy to talk on the cell.

V-6, smooth ride, rides higher off the ground than most small pick-ups

Better tires and braking.

Solid truck for recreation
By kdburns

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is a tank in mud and snow. Less than a week after we purchased it, we took it out into the Owhyee Mountains. While crawling up hills though several inches of mud, the Tacoma tracked very well where other (much larger) trucks had slid off the road and torn up the brush. My Tacoma has forded many streams and climbed over rocks without developing any problems. With lots of payload (lbs) and a truck bed, I can fit all my gear, including shovels and saws, for winter camping in the truck, plus my dog's crate in the back seat. It handles surprisingly well on highway - better than my Subaru Forester. Over 16000 miles, I've averaged 20 mpg in city, highway, and off-road miles.

4x4, TRD off-road, clearance, payload, reliable, comfortable seats, roomy backseat, cargo room when back seats are folded flat (perfect for a dog crate).

Better gas millage, better "fit and finish": one rear door does not close as solidly as other three doors, window seals are noisy on highway, stereo auxiliary input, fewer "nooks" and "crannies" on undercarriage: too many places to collect mud and debris, bed outlet is useless: 400w too few

First Toyota Truck
By Kevin

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first Toyota truck I have ever owned. I've only had it a few weeks but could not be happier. Plenty of power for passing and a very comfortable ride for a pick-up truck. The interior of the truck was set up very nicely with no gauges being blocked from your view with the steering wheel. I've seen several reviews from professional websites that claim the seating position is too low. I'm 6'2" and I say the seating position is too high. Other than that an overall exceptional truck.

Roomy interior, comfortable ride, powerful.

Should be able to adjust the driver's seat up and down.

It's a keeper
By 2mtech

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

All around solid, dependable truck. Daily driver, 75 highway miles/day. Average 20-22 MPG. Traded an '03 Dodge Dakota for it, and what a difference. Not all good, sadly. As some have said here, the brakes are horrible and Toyota should be ashamed of them. The peppy 4.0L V6 makes the 3.9 in the Dakota seem like a 4 cylinder however, with excellent torque and high end power. Ride is good... it's a truck, after all. Much more comfortable than the Dodge, and I love the dash/control layout. Once I wear out the atrocious stock Dunlop tires and replace with something decent handling will be great.

Reputation, reliability, looks, power.

Better, all around disc brakes. Drop Dunlop as stock tire supplier.