Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Best truck on road
By Kristen Ohler

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 1990 2 wheel drive Toyota extra cab for 18 years. Best vehicle I ever owned. I sold it with over 300,000 miles on it. I wanted a 4 wheel drive new p/u. I love this pick up more than any vehicle I have ever owned or driven. It is a fast and good looking p/u. I love the stereo system/cd player. It has a lot of pick up and contrary to reports I've read my pick up is very quiet. I've had no problems at all in the 14 months I've owned it. Although the running boards look great, they are in the way trying to get into and out of the p/u. I would never own any other kind of mid- sized truck besides the Toyota. To me it is the best truck on the road. Bar none!

Temp. gauge for outside temp. Lights turning off with engine turning off. Maintenance light for oil change.

Blue tooth through the radio.

Never Buying Toyota Again
By perfect-storm

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2008 Tacoma 4x4 intending to keep it a long time as they are supposedly known for reliability. Mechanically, the truck was fine and had no issues. I liked the truck and enjoyed driving it. Fuel mileage was OK with an average of 17 to 18 mixed city and highway driving. On the highway, it would get 20mpg if you stay under 70mph. I recently got rid of the truck as the frame was rusting excessively. I have never driven it on a salted road and I did not park it anywhere near the coast. Toyota's rep was extremely condescending and absolutely refused to do anything. No treatment, no coating, NOTHING! Check toyota frame rust issues and realize the problem still exists in '08.

Fun to drive and decent fuel mileage. Lots of interior room for a smaller truck. The truck won't last though.

FRAME QUALITY!!!! Absolutely unacceptable that a 1 year old truck that has never seen salt would rust to the point of being able to chip rust flakes off of the frame. Toyota knows NOTHING about CUSTOMER SERVICE. There were EXTENSIVE frame rust issues from 95-2004. THE PROBLEM WAS NOT CORRECTED.

Oh what a feeling!
By Mr. Brown

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I used to have a '93 Toyota pickup, 5 spd manual with the 22RE engine that I loved. Put 24k miles on my '08 so far and no major complaints. The SR5 4.0L V6 has more than ample power. Roomy interior. Gated automatic shift lever does not have locking button so that the lever can shift at anytime if it is accidentally bumped. The downshifts could be smoother and less often, but aren't that big a deal. Wish I'd gotten the stick shift instead, but at the time I wanted to try an automatic after 15 years of my old truck. Love the suicide rear doors on the access cab. But rear seating is cramped and should only be for short trips or kids.

Tons of power. Roomy interior. Composite bed liner (seems like plastic but it's supposedly stronger than steel). Bed storage for ropes. Adjustable tie down cleats. Storage under rear seats. Looks great! Fun to drive! Safety features standard, like ABS and stability assist.

Weak braking - should be rear disc brakes instead of drums. Improve gas mileage with cylinder shut offs when cruising. Low seat height - should be powered seats with full adjustments. One rear speaker vibrates plastic inside the rear door.

Best Midsize Truck Anywhere. LOVE IT!!!
By Siafu

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Tacoma. It has been a great vehicle. It has been reliable and has accomplished every goal that I have set for it. A superb automobile.

Engine. I love this engine. Great torque.

It could do with some more comforts, ie. leather, roof, navi. I would like it if it came with a little more options and would like it if it was more readily available in 4wd in my area. It was not easy to find.

Tundra's Little Brother
By myname150

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This really is a great truck, I have used it for hunting & fishing and some off-roading. I have the 4.0L V6 PreRunner & which ever one is the 4-door. I absolutely love it. Used to own a Dodge ram 1500, and I'm glad I got a Tacoma, though I wish I had gotten a Tundra. Pros: Good & Powerful 4.0L V6, Somewhat good fuel economy (depends on how you drive, as with every other vehicle), Great off-roader even though it's 4x2 (just no mudding or something of that sort), I got 0-60MPH in about 6.5-7 Seconds. Cons: Side Curtain air bag became standard on 2009 model, iPod connection became standard on 09 model (big deal for me), Somewhat jumpy if you don't have any load.

-The Biggg 4.0L V6, lots of power! -In my opinion, this truck is overpowered -Stock radio and speakers sound nice, compared to the ones in my old RAM.

-Should have made the Side airbags standard on the 2008 model -Same goes for the ipod connection, I'd like it more if it came standard, living in a city (Houston) where the FM frequencies are clogged, makes using an FM transmitter useless and (or) unusable.