Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

A nicely equipped truck for under $20K
By tacodan

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The 4-cyl 5-speed manual trans combo is well matched. When you get on it, the power is very impressive. I am getting a consistent 24-27.5 MPG. Handled a large 7ft sofa and a tall chest of drawers with a hitch. The area below the dash and the steering column is small for people with large feet. Cabin is a bit noisy at highway speeds when crosswinds are strong. No frt tie-down d-rings as in the rear. HUGE BOO-BOO. The truck drives like a car for comfort on long trips. All the power accessories work well and are well designed. OEM spkrs chintzy. GREAT A/C with very adjustable vents. Adjustable lumbar a great feature. Changed oil today, easy, just have a cap style filter wrench.

Great radio with good reception. Exc paint quality. 3 frt console cup holders. Slick shifter. Extendable sun visors. rear cabin access doors. Rear & side rear tinted windows. Quality feel to most components. Fuel mileage 25 avg. Smooth ride for a truck. Interior items made of good quality material.

Reduce wind noise. Higher quality carpeting. 16" wheels and tires would give a more secure feeling. Do we really need 6 qts of oil in a 4 popper. Longer bottom cushion on the frt bucket seats, these lack thigh support. Better spkr

After 8 months I'm still satisfied!
By TacoMan

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my truck almost 9 months and 10,000 miles ago, and I must say that I am still very happy with it (unlike my last pick-up truck, a which was a 1999 Ford Ranger)! I have driven it between Florida and Upstate New York a number of times, and except for disappointing highway gas mileage (around 18-20 MPG), I generally have no complaints. I bought the truck without the towing package (a $600 dealer option), but I installed a top of the line trailer hitch and wiring for less than $200! I had no problem towing a 5000 lb. boat/trailer! I also didn't get the overpriced TRD option, but the truck is still great off-road!

A real truck that doesn't drive like one. Great power for a V6! Roomy interior (I have the "Access Cab" model) with comfortable seats (I have the "SR5" with option package #2).

This truck needs standard iPod and satellite radio adapters. I had to purchase and install an aftermarket iPod/satellite radio interface. Better quality tires and rims should be standard. The factory standard Dunlop tires are garbage and the standard rims look like they came off of a trailer!

Nice Truck!
By Paul

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Toyota Truck, but have owned several Toyota's (I was a Toyota Master Tech years ago). I bought with the SR5 package (which is a MUST), aluminum wheels, and a factory hitch. If you want to buy the stripped version, drive the SR5 first, trust me. I installed a factory Toyota RS alarm also. This truck is the perfect size. My 1990 was a little small, but this one is perfect.

SR5 package. I drove a base model, and the SR5 just feels better. I don't really have a valid explanation for it. I love the Sand color and the beige inside. It's not real common, but looks great.

I would have liked a little more power, but I did buy the 4 cyl because of fuel mileage. I have a rattle in the drivers rear access door, but I've been lazy about getting it fixed. I will pretty soon.

Poor fit and finish
By tdaprez

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The fit and finish is not close to the Toyotas I have owned in the past. I have gap differences of more than 3.2mm side to side. The paint has a lot of "orange peel." Toyota's position is that they are all the same and the Tacomas have "textured paint, since that is the type of paint they use." When was the last time you heard "texture and car paint" used in the same sentence? Make sure you check the fit and finish very carefully before you buy, since Toyota will provide no help after the sale.

Good ride. Great V6 and auto transmission.

Need to work hard on improving the fit and finish. Seems to be a problem on most that I have checked.Looks like a lot out there. Quality made Toyota #1 and poor quality will quickly make them no better than the rest. The premium you pay should insure the quality expected from Toyota.

Best Truck of 2008
By Mounir

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have been looking for a truck that can accommodate my family and my household items, and I did find it. My toyota Prerunner is the one. I trade my old Toyota 1995 to the one I have now. Now I own the most reliable and valuable truck. It is the smartest move I have made this year. It is the best buy if anyone consider a truck for a special needs.

Comfort.

May be adding bluetooth capability. GPS system, better dashboard with feature such as six compact CD system, and navigation system