Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

One truck to beat
By JC

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I looked around and it did not take me long to make a decision in buying this vehicle. I have encountered the same difficulty in clearing my leg from the steering wheel when entering the cabin but in general, Toyota you have come a long way in design and performance in this category. Fuel mileage should improve.

The cabin design, interior comfort features and a rugged body style. It is TRUCK TIME.

Composite bed wheel wells structure questionable? a lockable fuel compartment could be helpful.

Research pays off
By duckhunter

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have recently purchased '08 Prerunner TRD offroad 4 door, and so far I love it. Just replaced a '04 Titan and have gone from about 10 mpg to 19, and kids have more room to boot. I live on a mountain, and travel it, as well as others, everyday. Truck has plenty of power and is averaging 19.8 mpg! This is my first non 4x4 truck, and hoping that the rear locking differential gets me out of those occasional mess ups. Have found that dry, rocky conditions are no issue for this 2wd, nor is steep, lose gravel roads. Highly recommend this truck if you need to re-up on a truck and gas mileage important.

Exterior is great looking, and love 110 hook-up in bed. Storage in bed and behind rear seats is nice extra.

Wish Toyota would include a few extras in the TRD package, like power seats. The only thing I really dislike about the truck is the fact that interior power slots do not work when truck is off.

Tacoma rating
By chopper

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Although a bit pricey, the Tacoma offers reliability, performance, and is economical to operate for a truck. It pulls a load well, within its capability, although fuel mileage suffers with a loaded trailer. When I trade again, I will opt for the longer bed for convenience. I get over 21 MPG with my Tacoma. Some of the increase might be attributable to having a cab high fiberglass topper and a "cat-back" TRD exhaust system along with a K&N air filter. All in all, it's a great truck !

Maneuverability. Fuel mileage

NONE..." If it ain't broke, don't fix it "

A nicely equipped truck for under $20K
By tacodan

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The 4-cyl 5-speed manual trans combo is well matched. When you get on it, the power is very impressive. I am getting a consistent 24-27.5 MPG. Handled a large 7ft sofa and a tall chest of drawers with a hitch. The area below the dash and the steering column is small for people with large feet. Cabin is a bit noisy at highway speeds when crosswinds are strong. No frt tie-down d-rings as in the rear. HUGE BOO-BOO. The truck drives like a car for comfort on long trips. All the power accessories work well and are well designed. OEM spkrs chintzy. GREAT A/C with very adjustable vents. Adjustable lumbar a great feature. Changed oil today, easy, just have a cap style filter wrench.

Great radio with good reception. Exc paint quality. 3 frt console cup holders. Slick shifter. Extendable sun visors. rear cabin access doors. Rear & side rear tinted windows. Quality feel to most components. Fuel mileage 25 avg. Smooth ride for a truck. Interior items made of good quality material.

Reduce wind noise. Higher quality carpeting. 16" wheels and tires would give a more secure feeling. Do we really need 6 qts of oil in a 4 popper. Longer bottom cushion on the frt bucket seats, these lack thigh support. Better spkr

After 8 months I'm still satisfied!
By TacoMan

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my truck almost 9 months and 10,000 miles ago, and I must say that I am still very happy with it (unlike my last pick-up truck, a which was a 1999 Ford Ranger)! I have driven it between Florida and Upstate New York a number of times, and except for disappointing highway gas mileage (around 18-20 MPG), I generally have no complaints. I bought the truck without the towing package (a $600 dealer option), but I installed a top of the line trailer hitch and wiring for less than $200! I had no problem towing a 5000 lb. boat/trailer! I also didn't get the overpriced TRD option, but the truck is still great off-road!

A real truck that doesn't drive like one. Great power for a V6! Roomy interior (I have the "Access Cab" model) with comfortable seats (I have the "SR5" with option package #2).

This truck needs standard iPod and satellite radio adapters. I had to purchase and install an aftermarket iPod/satellite radio interface. Better quality tires and rims should be standard. The factory standard Dunlop tires are garbage and the standard rims look like they came off of a trailer!