Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 237 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Don't buy on brand alone.
By Mike Noble

2006 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

After 28,000 miles with my 2006 Tacoma 2WD, manual trans, the overall experience has been less than I expected. The power of the 2.7L four is marginal even in a vehicle this light. 158 horses out of 2.7L is pretty pitiful today considering it has variable valve timing. The 5-speed trans is poorly geared, and not matched to the engine's power curve. The 3:31 rear gears makes 5th gear unusable. Overall, I wouldn't buy it again. It will probably go 200,000 miles, but I'll never make it! Don't consider buying it because it's a Toyota!

The headlights are great, and the seat is comfortable. I like the composite bed, but it's too slick.

Needs a better trans. The 4:1 first gear makes 2nd too far away. I really lugs the motor when you hit 2nd. It needs 4:10 rear gears instead of 3:31. 5th gear is useless with the 3:31 gears. Gas mileage is better in 4th.

Happy Overall
By Central Connecticut

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck (used) to replace a well-worn full size pickup. It was my hope to buy a smaller truck, and still enjoy the higher ride, spacious cabin, and load-carrying capacity of my old truck, but with better fuel economy. I'm very satisfied on the first two points, but less so on the load-carrying and fuel economy. When this truck is loaded to capacity, the rear springs are almost bottomed out. And the fuel economy is only slightly better than a full size truck. Overall, though, I'm quite happy. It's handling is stiff and glued to the road, like a sports car, but comfortable on long trips. And even for a tall person, the seating and controls are very satisfactory.

Nimble handling and competent performance on and off road. Cabin accommodations are comfortable and well thought out. The Toyota brand has a superb reputation for reliability.

Heated outside mirrors, a bed light and additional gauges would be appreciated. If higher load capacities were offered as an option, Tacomas could compete better against full sized trucks.

A good buy
By Todd

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck brand new with 18 miles on the odometer. It now has over 45,000 miles and I still love it. Decent gas mileage for a truck, plenty of power, great offroad capability with the 4WD model, and awesome styling. The only gripe I have is why Toyota didn't include a locking tailgate. Other than that I love the Tacoma, and I get lots of compliments on it too. Will definitely buy another Toyota in the future.

Interior space, towing ability, stylish look. Fun to drive too.

Lockable tailgate, locking fuel door.

Get The "Platinum" Warranty
By Josh

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive the hell out of this truck. Not too many complaints. Does a funny thing at stops, acts like it wants to keep going even though I have my foot on the brake. Almost feels like someone bumps you from behind. Compass/temp gauge went out and it wasn't covered by the warranty. They wanted $1100 to fix it, telling me the "Gold" warranty doesn't cover that, only the "Platinum". I took the unit apart and fixed it myself in about ten minutes. Seems like it goes through a lot of batteries too, four in 2 1/2 yrs.

Locking rear differential is nice, got me out of a couple of tight spots. Tie downs in the bed are a God send. I have yet to find a load too awkward to tie down.

Fix the jerk that you get when you come to a stop. Sound system could use some work. At least include an iPod/MP3 jack, I ended up dumping $1000 into a sound system and it made a world of difference. Toyota should cover ALL electronic components for the life of your warranty, not just some.

Worth Every Penny
By Parrothead

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Toyota PreRunner for over 2 yrs now and I have no regrets about purchasing this truck. It has met or exceeded my expectations, and is far superior in quality than the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge products that I have owned. My only complaint is the angulation of the center air vent on the driver's side; it blows air directly on the driver even when an attempt is made to angle it toward the rear cab. Domestic truck manufacturers have a long way to go to meet the quality and dependability of this vehicle.

Handling.