Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Your best bet!
By wilbret

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Highly recommended. After owning 3 Chevrolets, a Nissan, and a Mitsubishi, I can say that the Toyota takes the cake. This truck is meant to be a truck. It doesn't have all the frilly features you will find on other brands, but you won't need them, trust me. You are buying a truck. The ride is sturdy, noise kept to a minimum, the seats are comfortable and both front and rear seats have ample leg and headroom. If you are considering a pickup, Tacoma will satisfy your needs even if you are hunting a full-size. I wouldn't recommend it for towing anything over 5,000 lbs, though. It can handle the PULL, it's the stopping that becomes tough. This is my first non 4x4, and I can say so far so good.

Sits like a 4x4 without paying for it. Rides comfortably on long trips. Performs the job I want it to do. Tiedowns on rail system are awesome. Storage in the cab is a lot more than you'd expect. Layout is well thought out without having to upgrade packages. Gas mileage vs. previous vehicles.

Short bed could use another foot in length. Make receiver hitch standard. Brakes SQUEAL in reverse each morning. Stereo needs a little more UMPH. Raise rearview mirror by 6 inches. Headrests in back make rear window useless. Toyota engines are louder than other brands at idle, but not a real issue.

Great Truck Except
By Todd Cranford

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love my truck; researched thoroughly before I made the purchase. I traded a 2003 Silverado and there really is no comparison between the two vehichles. I have put 4000 miles on it in all types of weather conditions and have to say that the driving experience is a pleasure. Going from the V8 in the Chevy to the V6 was a concern, but it turns out that my Tacoma has power to spare when needed. This is truly a great truck except for one issue that I hope to get resolved and does not cause any long term damage. I notice a tapping in the engine, only on cold starts and it certainly has me alarmed although it quits after the engine is warm. My dealership will resolve this issue.

Overall interior space. Sporty design. Excellent sound system. Excellent power from the V6. Storage areas are great.

None, other than the engine tapping on cold starts.

Tacoma - built for the long road.
By Ozgard

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I shopped around for a few months. I looked at the Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon, Ford F15 and Nissan Frontier. What pulled me to the Tacoma was the number of older Tacomas still looking great. I talked to a few Tacoma owners and asked them how they liked their truck and they all responded that they loved their truck. I am very happy that I went with the Tacoma. The truck feels solid and drives extremely well. The gas mileage could be a little better but I'll take 18 MPG versus some of the other trucks. If you want a truck thats built Tacoma's the one.

6 cyl 268 HP engine. TRD Sport package with 4WD can't be beat. Interior is real nice and the access cab has room for 2 more for short trips. 6 ft bed has plenty of room for cargo.

Gas mileage could be a better. Larger access cab windows would improve blind spots.

Tacoma
By TACOMA

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first truck and I love it. The truck is strong and looks nice. I have over 1200 miles and no problems so far. The ride height is high, though feels bumpy at times. Gas is good but doesn’t match advertised mileage so far. All my friends dig it, they all want to drive it, haha. Overall runs smooth, except in stop and go traffic, automatic is kinda shifty.

Styling is eye catching. Power is there when needed. Interior design, lots of storage space. Engine layout, easy to change oil. Ride height. Off road look and feel.

Fender flares should be part of body steering kinda loose, could be tighter ride sometimes bumpy, but its a truck. Hopefully mpg improves with break in. Automatic could be smoother in traffic.

06 Tacoma 4X4
By DJ

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Second truck issued, first was replaced using the lemon law. Current truck has clutch and 4x4 disengagement problems. I wished Toyota would have kept the Tacoma as a smaller truck... this would have helped with the gas mileage. I'm currently getting 21 hwy / 18 city.

Nice ride for a truck, and I like the access cab design.

Cup holder too close to shifter - moving to second gear is hampered if a drink is in holder. Make clock and radio displays brighter in daylight conditions.