Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Why did I buy a Dodge first?
By GI Tiger

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great, fun, truck, the V6 power plant is just right for this vehicle. I'm glad I bought all the extras (TRD, Prerunner, SR5) with the off road package. This truck does do some weird things though, don't drive too fast in windy conditions, it likes to nose plow, controlling it sometimes is a job in itself. It doesn't drive well on uneven roads at times.

Styling, the racing blue is cool, decals are fun too. Sound system is great (6 speakers), gives the cab more than enough volume to drowned out any traffic. Power plant (V6) more than you need, unless you're towing something. Dashboard and cab, best I've seen!

Move the rearview morror from the middle of the windscreen, lots of blind spots, improve the back of the access cab seating.

Awesome truck!
By toyotaman

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I previously owned an 04 Nissan Frontier, which I immediately regretted buying, so I traded it for an 05 tacoma 4cyl. PreRunner. I loved that truck so much that when it got taken away from me by my father who was the cosignor, I had to have another one. So I bought an 06 PreRunner, this time with a v6. I absolutely love this truck! I wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe another Tacoma. wouldnt change anything as far as design goes. I just wish I'd spent the extra for a double cab long bed 4x4. Otherwise, I love my truck. Unfortunately so does my girlfriend, and we often argue over who gets to drive it.

V6, ride height, offroad abilities despite being 2 wheel drive.

Nice performance and room
By reed

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had to replace my Audi with a truck for work purposes. I was expecting to be disappointed but this truck has exceeded my expectations. It has decent horsepower and torque. Handles well in snow (with four sand bags and studs), stereo sounds good, Sport package has nice options. Not the most comfortable ride but the truck can carry a decent load.

The performance of the truck. I beat an A4 3.0 from a stop light last week. The manual transmission is crucial for mountain and snow driving. The extra cab has decent room. Clutchless start is nice option for off roading. AC plug works great for tailgating.

4WD has problems engaging while driving. Poor gas mileage. CD changer died within 3 months. Bumpy ride and lots of small plastic pieces falling off interior. Tailgate became loose. Headlights seem to blind everyone. Stock tires are terrible. Offer some seat heaters, headlight cleaners and a sunroof.

Love my truck
By G. Kennedy

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have always wanted a Toyota Tacoma ever since they came out. Last November I purchased the 2006 Cab 6 cylender Tacoma with off road package and love affair has begun. To solve the gas mileage problem (17 city and 19 road), I got a bed cover and improved my gas mileage to 18 city and 22 road. One problem is the lock in 4 wheel drive does not have a light and in bad weather is hard to locate. Otherwise there is nothing bad I can say about this truck so buy it.

Bedliner, off road package, on the wheel radio controls, foglights, color blue, backseat storage under seats, durable seating,

Light on the 4 wheel drive lock in.

Great Truck
By John Seebach

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4 dr access cab in 12/06. I was a faithful Ford Ranger owner prior to the Tacoma. I had a '97 Ranger until 4/06 and then purchased a 2006 Ranger. I was not pleased with the '06 Ranger. I took a chance on a Toyora Tacoma. Really enjoy the quality and performance of this vehicle, especially compared to the '06 Ranger. There really is a dramatic difference in quality, interior features and smooth ride. The gas mileage on the Tacoma is not as good -about 21 city and 24 highway - but the superior quality makes up for it.

Interior features, quality seats, carpeting, plenty of room, 4 door access feature, rear seats with the storage area. The 4 cyl automatic has plenty of power for everyday use. Exterior features with the SR5 package make for a very sharp looking truck.

There is a bit of road noise that may be due to the large mirrors or the access cab doors. I am used to it and it is not a big problem.