Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 237 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Best kept secret
By Gary

2006 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this X-Runner right off the showroom floor and it has been turning heads ever since. Incredible handling, drives like it is on rails. Fun 6 speed stick, comfortable, roomy interior, great sound system. Control panels easy to use, overhead compartment for garage opener, sun glasses Easy access reaching into bed due to low profile. Even has ac outlet in bed if you need to use power tools, vacuum cleaner, radio, etc. Great idea! Haven't had a single issue with this truck. Would recommend factory mud flaps due to road rash on bumped out rear wheel wells. Other than that, this truck is a home run!

6 speed, comfy interior, handling, ac power feature.

Mud flaps to control road rash in rear fender wells. Power rear window.

2006 Tacoma 4cyl. Auto Access Cab SR5
By Ed

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

The four cyl. automatic has a tougher go of it in the Texas hills. Here on the coast it's a good deal. It will consistently do 28 mpg on the highway at 63mph speed. Do not go to the larger wheels/tires or you will lose 2 mpg fuel economy. The optional shift or automatic (2nd, 3rd or drive only) is fun to use. I would recommend the 5 spd. manual if you want to tow with the four cyl. This long bed with the access cab can haul a lot. The short second seat is perfect for your gear, tools, groceries, or a small animal carrier. As usual for Toyota, this truck is absolutely dependable (80,500 miles in less than 3 years, w/no issues).

Convenient console storage, cup holders, storage compartments in bed, tie off rails and lock devices for bed are all good. I like the ease of shift from 2nd, to 3rd to drive as required with the auto tran. The automatic tire air pressure monitor is a great help.

A little stronger 4cyl would help this truck take the hills better on cruise and still allow the good gas mileage. I was disappointed that it did not have a locking gas cap with port accessible only from latch inside cab. The SUVs have the inside latch feature at least.

Poor Suspension
By CHRIS RICHARDS

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my SR5 4x4 access cab and loved it from day 1, and after a few months of driving and hitting a few little bumps on pavement & dirt roads (even while empty and just me driving) the rear end would bottom out and the suspension is less then standard. I couldn't be. that Toyota would allow only 2 leaf springs in the rear of any of their trucks. Otherwise the truck runs great & I think they have since upgraded this after 2006 - or at least I hope so. Everything else has been perfect.

I love the interior and over all fuel - easy to ride.

Needs a rear box light - better tires at time of purchase and of course better suspension unless you get the TRD.

Overrated
By tacmot

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

When I initially bought this 2006 TRD Tacoma, I was initially blown away with the styling and capability. Did a lot of bragging for Yota and probably sold a few vehicles for them. Fast forward 2 years, "the honeymoon is over" and it time for real solid engineering and time tested design to take over but I feel that this is not the one. This truck has not left me on the side of the road but is giving "indications of potential unreliable conditions" i.e. the tranny works but feels like it has begun a death march. The engine runs but sounds like it could have some problems in the not so distant future. learned my lesson, you be smart, learn from my mistake, buy an F-150, ford I'm coming home.

styling, comfort, locking rear diff

My full size truck gets as good MPG as this vehicle. This makes me question the point of a smaller v-6 truck. A v- 8 in the Tacoma would probably get equal MPG and provide more needed low end torque. This is not a truck motor, leave the Camry motor in the Camry.

Loyal Tacoma Owner
By DAVE T

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Tacoma that I've owned. I've never been brand partial until my first Tacoma purchase. It's the only truck I'll have now. Needed something small enough for just myself commuting to/from work, but also something I could take the family out in as well. Double cab fits the bill perfectly. 18-24 MPG is decent for a 4X4 truck. Stylish looks are sporty, ride is quiet and comfortable as compared to my '02. Had an unfortunate accident in the '02 when a driver pulled out in front of me causing a serious crash. Truck held up well and rec'd only minor damage as opposed to the Chevy Malibu that got what it deserved! Toyota makes a solid truck!

Stereo system, sporty looks, storage space under/behind rear seats, composite bed with cleats, interior layout, nice ride.

Offer leather interior, brakes are weaker than the '02-beef 'em up a tad, larger gas tank, power seats.