Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Best small truck for the buck
By suisunian

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this truck for 2 yrs. 24K, 20 mpg avg noted in past 40 fill ups. Narrow seats with center storage arm rest, rather it had a bench seat for big butts, brake/gas pedal too close togeather. driver arm rest door panel cracked, rear shocks leak. Wish it had a long bed.

Good stuff: front seat reclines nice for power naps, bed liner is tough, lots of storage pockets/areas. Big side mirrors, roomy access cab storage area. Good sounding radio, good overall value for the buck. Recommended overall.

Window sticker gas mileage needs to be more accurate. Says 21/27. I use it mostly on hwy, and only get 20 mpg avg. (automatic). Got 25 mpg on long road trips twice.

06 Tacoma
By dws246

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

When I first bought the truck I loved it, it was great and just what I wanted. However after about 5k I started to get a bad clutch chatter like you are about to stall only worse. I brought that to the dealer's attention, said it was normal. I have been driving stick shift for a while and that is not normal, even after giving it lots of gas the chatter would still happen. The worst part of the whole thing is that at 26k the clutch blew, I had to have it towed to the dealer where they said it was not covered by the warranty and I would have to pay $1400 to fix it-everything was bad in the clutch,even the springs were broken which they said was because I was a bad driver.

It is comfortable, but I would not recommend this truck because of its clutch and power train issues which toyota knows about and does nothing about it. Buying a new truck with a warranty you don't think you will be paying repair costs but with this truck you will be after only 1 year.

The clutch!

No Confidence!
By lucyb

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my 2006 Tacoma for about 18000 miles. It was a great truck until it decided to accelerate while my foot was on the brake pulling into my garage. Fortunately only the truck was damaged and my house was spared. I took the truck to the dealer to check over for the cause of the acceleration. Couldn't find a problem. Toyota regional also couldn't find a problem. I repaired the damage on mine and traded it immediately. I would never feel safe in the Tacoma again. Be careful if you are considering the Tacoma!!

Reliable, comfortable, good looking truck.

Fix the random acceleration problem. This is a safety issue! It's also a very expensive problem to the owner.

Happy with it
By Tacomaowner

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am more than satisfied with the ownership experience, from the performance, features, and low maintenance to the positive comments I get from others about the truck. I only wish I had specified the "outside temp / compass" feature and I also wish the radio had a 'aux" input for iPod and XM radio input.

None

Best Truck Ever!
By healthylaugh

2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 4th Toyota in over 20 years - they are so well-built, that I haven't needed to shop much! This is a beautiful truck and I love how fast and powerful it is when you need the extra merging power/get up and go. I haven't had one stitch of trouble with it and not a single factory defect, either. My Prius' gas mileage is missed, but I really needed a truck, so the Tacoma was the natural choice.

Build quality. Engine: excellent power w/ reasonable fuel economy. Integrated bed liner: durable and practical, saves weight and alleviates the need for aftermarket application. Bucket seats: great bolster & comfy.

Make sure the rest of the truck buying public gets educated about the quality/value of this vehicle!