Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 235 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great Tacoma
By lovecars10

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Okay, I have what some people may call "car issues".
I am 33 years old and on about the 40th car.
Six months ago I bought a 25k mile 2006 with a factory warranty.
I am totally not a truck guy and could not see myself driving an F-150.
But the Tacoma is not a truck for us.
Its the Ultimate Family Vehicle.
We go camping, lot's of room with tonneau cover, it can tow, it fits 4 of us comfortably, and I can get stuff from Lowe's.
By the way its very reliable and overall feels very solid.
I can't believe that my top favorite car out of Acuras, Bmw, Saab and a bunch of others and it's a "truck"...no, it's an..."Ultimate Family Vehicle".

4X4 Beast reliable fun safe!
By Jesus saves

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only bad thing about my truck is the poor fuel economy. I get about 19 mpg. Other than that it's a beast. Back seat fits adults just fine. I have pulled out several lifter 4x4 diesel trucks out of the mud, snow, and sand. Pulls loads great. 4X4 like no other and it soaks up the bumps great!

turn knob 4x4, MOTOR!

weak rear stock suspension

She'll be missed
By Lisurfer523

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Unfortunatly I was in a very bad accident with my 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad. It was the best car I have ever purchased. I have to say it was my Tacoma that saved my life in the head on collision. I was hit head on by someone who jumped the double yellow and I managed to escape with a broken leg and a messed up knee. No head, back or neck injuries.

I used my truck everyday to and from work, on and off the beach towing my pop up camper trailer and boat trailer, snow, rain with no problem ever. I never had as much as a flat tire in my truck. I would recommend this truck to anyone that ever goes off road or just likes having a small truck that drives like a big one with out the gas.

The 4 wheel drive capability

It could use a bigger bed option and bed tie downs should be standard.

66,000 and still love it
By RKK

2006 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Outside some flimsy door panels that dealer said he replaced and didn't, just glued reinforcements in door elbow rest, I'm fairly happy. Installed a 2.5" front lift via Bilstein adjustable shocks & a 1" rear lift via blocks with matching Bilstein 5100's. I average 23- 24mpg on summer fuel, 21-22 on winter fuel. Light in the rear on wet roads, but thats to be expected. Also alot of driveline noise from day one, but my 93 model had same thing. I plan on another 100,000 miles, I love it that much.

Looks, roomy interior compared to my 93, fuel economy isn't bad for a 4WD, bed tie downs & composite construction have proved handy.

Arm rests, driveline (fixed mine via flipping rear drive-shaft, found this at tech forums) takes a pair of 14 mm wrenches & 1/2 hour.

Overpriced Junk
By Alpine

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First truck (same model) had to be replaced, due to a front-end problem - right off the lot. Second truck had a clutch problem from the start (one that the dealer ignored until it failed at 35K). I had the rear spring TSB done to help the load capability of the truck. The dealer messed up setting the pinion angle of the diff - blowing out the drive-shaft carrier bearing. The dealer would not admit to this, and I had to get it fixed at a drive-line shop (at $900). All-in-all the truck is the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned, with Toyota not backing the problems associated with this truck. Toyota, oh what a feeling (yeah, sick feeling).

If I had to offer something, I would say seat comfort.

Start over Toyota!