Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

She'll be missed
By Lisurfer523

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Unfortunatly I was in a very bad accident with my 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad. It was the best car I have ever purchased. I have to say it was my Tacoma that saved my life in the head on collision. I was hit head on by someone who jumped the double yellow and I managed to escape with a broken leg and a messed up knee. No head, back or neck injuries.

I used my truck everyday to and from work, on and off the beach towing my pop up camper trailer and boat trailer, snow, rain with no problem ever. I never had as much as a flat tire in my truck. I would recommend this truck to anyone that ever goes off road or just likes having a small truck that drives like a big one with out the gas.

The 4 wheel drive capability

It could use a bigger bed option and bed tie downs should be standard.

Will own it for life!
By Jason

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Finally purchased my toy last summer, after humming and hawing for years. I've researched the pro's and cons between the Nissan Frontier and the Tacoma, and the biggest issues outstanding for each is the transmission trouble with the Taco, but the differential troubles with the Frontiers. After thinking about the cost (frontier cheaper) the size (frontier smaller) and reputation, I felt that I could live with the random gear changes of the taco, and it wouldn't cost anything in repairs, or pay less for a Nissan, then replace the differential in a year, have less cabin room, less box room, and less "look cool factor". I've been driving in every terrain with only once stuck in a ditch! Love it!

The exterior look is tough, but looks like a fun ride, and it is! I have the SR5 model, so no fake hood scoop. Sleek design in black with chrome stands out on the road. The interior is super comfortable, and I love the fold down seats with storage area in the double cab! Roomy and robust!

Both SR5 and TRS models should have the 6 post trailer light hook up. The towing capacity isn't that different when it comes to your usual trailers to tow.

06 Tacoma, three years in.
By Chuck W

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2006 Black, 4WD, Short-bed TRD, used in June of 2007. It had 20K miles on it, and it is sitting at just over 60K miles now (April 2010). Wanted a smaller truck that was 4WD with four doors and I was willing to sacrifice power, fun, and space. So far, the space is the only sacrifice. The bed is pretty small when hauling things, but I knew that going into the deal. For the trucks size and weight, the power is outstanding. I pulled a Chevy 1500 out of a ditch with ease of course, I was still on asphalt and had good traction. Regardless, this was my first Toyota truck and I will own it until the wheels fall off! Great little truck, and still get compliments all the time.

The TRD package is great when playing off-road. The highway drive and handling is so-so but it's a TRUCK, people! I have not put it in the mud, but have played in the dirt and sand quite a bit with all original/stock suspension and tires. Too much fun!

Would have liked to see a sturdier bed with more tie downs. MP3 Disc, or Aux jack would have been nice. I'm 6' tall and weigh 190, the front seats are a little narrow, but still comfortable for normal use. I do have to make frequent stops when driving more than a couple of hours, though.

Transmission Problems
By Gino64

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fell in love with the tacoma design and had to buy one. I give it low marks on performance because I'm having problems with the automatic transmission. The truck vibrates at low speeds and can't seem to find the low gears. Took it to the dealer and was told that it was normal. The problem still persists and I will contact the dealer and Toyota.

I like the cab design and bed liner.

Fix transmission problems.

Overrated
By tacmot

2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

When I initially bought this 2006 TRD Tacoma, I was initially blown away with the styling and capability. Did a lot of bragging for Yota and probably sold a few vehicles for them. Fast forward 2 years, "the honeymoon is over" and it time for real solid engineering and time tested design to take over but I feel that this is not the one. This truck has not left me on the side of the road but is giving "indications of potential unreliable conditions" i.e. the tranny works but feels like it has begun a death march. The engine runs but sounds like it could have some problems in the not so distant future. learned my lesson, you be smart, learn from my mistake, buy an F-150, ford I'm coming home.

styling, comfort, locking rear diff

My full size truck gets as good MPG as this vehicle. This makes me question the point of a smaller v-6 truck. A v- 8 in the Tacoma would probably get equal MPG and provide more needed low end torque. This is not a truck motor, leave the Camry motor in the Camry.