Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 237 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

I Waited 20 years for this truck
By Kelshm

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have wanted a Tacoma forever. I never seemed to be able to find one when it was time to trade however. This time I just went all out and bought a new one. I should have done this before! This truck is phenomenal! I have never felt so secure in a vehicle in my life!

I can't decide what my favorite features might be. I love everything about this truck!

I personally cannot think of a single improvement needing to be made on this truck.

The best I have found
By Bill

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

After having a '82 SR5 for 260,000 miles with no real problem I was looking for a new vehicle to replace it as there wasn't enough room for the family. I looked atother trucks and setled on the Tacoma 4 dr V6. Unbelivable power and a turning radius better than my old SR5. It also is the most comfortable ride for long distances I have ever driven. I do not recomend lightly, this truck is perfect.

Fold down rear seats with room for a 170 lb Newfoundland, Power receptacle, and power to pass anything on demand. It also has a smooth ride, and an accessable oil filter that you change from the open hood on the right side of the engine. No more crawling under the truck to access it.

Longer bed. I worry when I have to carry 8' sheetrock with 2' hanging off the gate

2006 Prerunner, V6, Access cab, 5A
By Lou

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Highway and in town driving produces same MPG, around 20. No problems in 8,550 miles. Nice around town truck with ample power. Not suited for long trips or in windy conditions. Draws favorable comments and has high resale value. Very well could be best mid size truck on the market.

The design is easy on the eye; ride quality is good with lower tire pressure. Very responsive for a V6. Fuel milage is good and predictible.

Wind noise around sliding rear window when AC is turned on. Unstable at highway speeds, especiall with cross winds. Transmisssion does not shift into final gear if you are cruising around 40 MPH and sometimes makes noise when changing gears.

Good but not perfect...
By m9431

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Toyota Truck and one selected after much comparison. For me the size fits my needs, and I'm impressed by the interior design. The V6 is impressive, but not overly fuel efficient compared to Chevy's great V8s. Chassis strength is much improved, handling is good. As others have noted in user forums, the rear suspension is weak, mine bottoming out after I added a 150lb. cap. I had to have my srpings rebuilt independently at my cost, not covered under warranty. Additionally, the 5-speed automatic transmission shifts very poorly, slow to make a decision and often like it doesn't know what gear it should be in! Hopefully Toyota will release new software to cure this problem.

Smooth V6, nice interior with handy storage, good resale value, strong chassis, good handling, good build quality.

5-speed electronic automatic transmission does not know how to shift--Toyota should upgrade software and offer to current owners. Weak rear springs on long-bed models.

Sharp Truck!
By TMac

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first truck and I love it. My last car was a 2-seater convertible and decided to go the opposite direction this time. The Tacoma has exceeded my expectations on almost everything. Toyota's design outranks all competitors and the performance is great. Plus you can trust that Toyota reliability. A+++

Hood scoop on TRD Sport Package, standard bedliner, storage under back seat,

Offer a few more color options.