Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 235 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

06 Tacoma 4X4
By DJ

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Second truck issued, first was replaced using the lemon law. Current truck has clutch and 4x4 disengagement problems. I wished Toyota would have kept the Tacoma as a smaller truck... this would have helped with the gas mileage. I'm currently getting 21 hwy / 18 city.

Nice ride for a truck, and I like the access cab design.

Cup holder too close to shifter - moving to second gear is hampered if a drink is in holder. Make clock and radio displays brighter in daylight conditions.

Cool truck
By Alex Roberts

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Really nice to drive.The 4.0 is really quick. You have to get the TRD off road package to get the real nice interior and features. The four wheel drive is excellent in the snow. I am disappointed with how fast the bf goodrich tires wore in just the first 12,000 miles from all highway driving.

TRD off road package, towing package, access cab, the bed and cargo securing ability. You have to get the adjustable cargo divider that fits in the side rails.

Better adjustable cup holders. Move the power mirror control from the dash to the door so you don't have to lean forward to adjust mirrors.

Solid truck
By rcg

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Truck gives feel of a larger truck, plenty of room. V6 extremely strong; it acts like it's ready to jump upon request. TRD package gives truck nice stiff ride; it handles curves and bumpy roads nicely. Only had it a few weeks and I feel I made a good decision to purchase. All the truck you'll ever need for occasional hunting trips or to haul your gear.

TRD package, sporty styling, automatic transmission, V6, 4 doors.

Improved standard audio system, and standard driver and passenger air bag system.

Why Did I Wait?
By Kelshm

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am your typical "Truck Guy". I have loved the small 4X4 pickup since Datsun had them out in the early 80's. I have never owned one though, until this one. I don't know why I waited so long. In my job I drive many vehicles and once I drove the '06 Tacoma, I knew I was home. I haven't driven a smoother more comfortable pickup of this size ever. I also have a disability that causes me to suffer a great deal of pain when driving most vehicles. I don't experience any pain when driving my Tacoma. If everyone built a vehicle this solid and reliable, I would be out of work. There is a reason that a used Tacoma sells at or near its' original selling price.

Getting better MPG than the EPA says, smoothness, stance, bucket seats and console.

There are no improvements I can think of for this truck.

Steering wheel shakes
By 06TxTaco

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall a great truck, good power and very comfortable truck. My truck has a shake or shimmy in the steering wheel that the dealer can't seem to fix after several attempts, they even let me drive a new 07 off the lot and it had the same problem. The truck rides fairly smoothly but the steering wheel shake between 55 and 70 MPH is extremely annoying. Other than that, I love this truck, beautiful styling, plenty of power, comfort, good gas mileage for a truck. I get between 20 and 22 MPG depending on how my right foot feels that day, combined city/highway driving.