Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 358 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

I LOVE MY TRUCK!!!!!
By AnneS

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my Tacoma. I opted for the 4 cylinder 4x4, manual transmission. Its fun to drive, and does pretty well on gas, except in the winter when my mpg takes a nosedive to about 17-19 (from about 22-24). We just put new tires on it because the tires that came with it weren't too good in the snow of upstate NY. This truck is perfect sized for me, at 5 feet 3 inches. My husband who is 6-2 also fits in it nicely, and can even ride in the back seats for shorter trips. We can fit everything we need, including the dog, for a weekend at camp in the cab of the truck.

Storage compartments under the seats and in the bed. Composite bed. Nice rims. Easy to see out of. Easy and fun to drive.

Lighted 4x4 switch line in for aux or mp3 player on stereo better tires on non TRD models.

Revolutionary!!
By Stevo

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have to say, I am so impressed with my new truck. I have been driving BMWs for the last five years and coming out of a 40K car to a truck I was not expecting the luxury drive as well as the power and handling. WOW! What an extraordinary driving machine. I love it so much. The TRD package is worth every penny! I am absolutely impressed with it and can't wait to plan some fishing trips.

TRD sport package, erogonomics, spacious, powerful engine, and great handling.

Leather interior, navigation, and more gadgets on the inside.

05 X-Runner Awesome!
By baddaddy

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab X-Runner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Saw the X-Runner at the San Diego International auto show, immediately started searching. Had to wait for one to arrive, ended up being the first non speedway blue one in CA, or so I was told. Love it. Handling surprises many "sports car" drivers. Weak link was stereo, so I upgraded it. I get more looks than new Corvettes. Have not gotten this many thumbs up and comments since I owned my 66 GTO.

Handling, handling, handling.

Offer better stereo. Can't hear the stock one when the windows are down.

Look at FRAME first !!!!
By yomama

2005 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I am the owner of 2005 reg cab 4x4. It has a huge problem with rust on the frame. The rust is not all the way thru but it already has started and I have never seen rust like this so early. Frame actually looks as if it belongs to a truck 20 years old! I would only recomend this truck to someone living in a very dry area. I will not purchase another Toyota because of this. How safe can it be to drive down highway with nothing holding the truck together? I wish I would have known before purchase. Too bad, I get over 25 mpg with A/C on in city!

gas mileage

Better metal for frame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Better plastic for interior doors

Owned them all and by far this is #1
By donzi2005

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I speak from experience. Owned 86 SR5 22RET 4x4 (300K+), 91 SR5 4x4 (200K+), 96 T100 4x4, 96 4runner Limited, 95 Tacoma 4x4 (75K), 96 Tacoma 4x4 (75K). 99 Toy 4x4 Ext Cab (100K) As you can see I spent many a miles behind the wheel of a Toyota truck. Bought my 2005 to tow a 22' boat. Already after year and half put 30K miles on it. By far the best looking all around driveable Toyota truck I have ever owned. Towing and overall drivability is above all others. Long-distance HWY trips are now a dream. Reliability is always A+. The only thing I have to do with this truck is change the oil and air filter. See below for my few negative comments.

The awesome looks, decent gas mileage, great power and the integrated bed liner with rear power DC to AC option.

The biggest disappt. is the brakes. Hey Toyota REAR wheel DISCs!!! Come on the drums are a carry over from my 86 Toy! Had major brake fade while towing. Fix the shifting of the auto trans! That also has been a problem from the past. Shifts hard and never feels right.