Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 197 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

A Keeper
By Ralph Shaffer

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

The Toyota Taco is the best engineered automobile I've ever owned. It's like driving a car. A big car. Like a Cadillac. It's quiet on the highway and the big 16 inch tires and long wheelbase make it a dream to drive on a long trip. Seats are just right for my arthritic back, all controls are easy to reach. Maintenance is a dream - they even give you a drip catcher for the easy to reach (topside) oil filter. Only time will tell how this holds up under the freeze-thaw-snow-salt Pennsylvania winters. The 4X4 transfer case is a dream - just turn the switch. Mileage is kind of stinky if you're used to a car, but not bad for a 4X4, about 17mpg. It runs on regular gas just fine.

Manual 6-speed tranny is very easy to use but with all that power, possibly not necessary.

Come up with a V-8 model to satisfy all of us power hungry guys who like the sound of an 8. The Tundra V8 would make this little Taco really go!

Best truck on the market!!
By Scott

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Tacoma!! I have driven all kinds of trucks and this one is the best hands down. Its doesn't have rattles after several miles, its quiet and powerful!!

Steering wheel radio controls

increased fuel economy

The perfect vehicle?
By Patrick

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 8 cars and trucks in the last 5 years searching for the perfect vehicle. I am confident I have found it. I am a financial planner and a real estate investor. Further, I just had a son - making safety a real concern. This truck serves well in all capacities. The look of the truck is tough yet sophisticated enough to be proud pulling up to clients' offices. I can drive four grown men around town comfortably. The interior (front driver and passenger primarily) is comfortable and well thought out. When I am working on rental houses, the long bed allows room for tools, trash-outs, etc. The towing capacity is excellent.Ideal for weekend camping trips. 18/22mpg. Perfect vehicle? Great work, Toyota!

Interior comfort, front/side/curtain airbags.JBL sound system.General handling and overall look.Toyota reliability.

I honestly can't think of one. This vehicle is so well thought-out it is hard to criticize.

road noise
By joe

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The door gaskets are terrible, the road noise is very loud-the faster you go more volume is needed on the CD or radio,also to much dirt, dust and road salt collect inside dr. jams. The paint chips very easily every where - it looks very thin. The seats feel like your sitting on layers of cardboard. Quality control experts should be fired for putting one of the most under rated and cheapest dunlap tires on this truck or any truck.

The features of the truck turn many heads and I get lots of compliments. Performance is great as is the smooth ride.

Paint needs to be thicker or more protected, seats need to be more comfortable. Better grade of tires,d oor jams/gaskets. I'm only 5/7 and the steering wheel is always in the way of legs/getting in and out

You can have your cake and eat it too !!
By James K. Hoy

2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving trucks for exactly 20 years now. Through this time it has been my experiance that you have to give up performance to achieve a vehicle that is suitable for work. With the new Tacoma, those days are over. I have a Crew Cab, Pre Runner, with the TRD Sport package, a V6 and the SR5 set up. This truck not only tows my work trailer, (a 5' x 8' cargo loaded with cabinet installation tools),effortlessly, it's sharp to impress a date with, it handles like a dream and man will she fly when you turn her lose. I traded in an '02 Ford F150 with the 5.4L. Its payload was rated higher but other than that, this truck out performs hands down, and it's al ot more fun to drive!!!!!

It's hard to pin point what my favorite features are on this truck. It drives like a sports car with the payload of a truck. The interior is more comfortable then any mid-size, 4 door sedan that I've been in. The premiem stereo package (6 disc, 7 speaker with sub- woofer) sounds like a home stereo.

Though I love the new tie down system that comes with the bed. Low tie catches in the front of the bed like the one's in the back would be helpful for smaller loads. Other than that, just keep up the great work...