Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Good looking truck not cost effective
By IT_guru

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Exterior design makes it a good looking truck. I was complimented several times on its design. Fun to drive on weekends but looks are deceiving. It claims 18/22 but it was more like 16/20 with the 4x4 TRD. The bilstein shocks made for a hard drive. Clutch pedal replaced with only 9000 miles after making squeaking sounds. Extended cab rather cramped for adults but adequate for children. Expensive to maintain especially with the suggested 3000 miles oil change along with dealer's "suggested" preventative repairs.

Sliding glass privacy window and shift box was smooth

Fuel Efficiency - Gasing up every 5 days with the recommended high ocatane (91) by toyota is costly. Better seats in extended cab version

05 trd 4x4 access cab v6 5speed auto
By bad man

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

i have the trd off road with every availible option. i use for work and average 20mpg and have put over 40,000 miles in less than one year. every jobsite i go on people love the look of my truck! very cool truck with a great ride and lots of power. the power outlet in the bed is neat. i would like a light in the bed.

the v6 and 5speed auto work realy well together. the bed rails are awesome!

a coin holder would be nice,and the paint seems to chip and scratch really easy. I wash it every week and wax it once a month.

2005 Access Cab Big Disappointment
By A.S.

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2005 Tacoma Prerunner with 4-cyl/5M new after doing a lot of research from forums, specification reports, and going on test-drives. This is the model that looks like a 4- wheel-drive and has an extended cab (they call it the access cab). I can now say after having it for 17,000 miles that I am very disappointed in it for two reasons: actual vs. posted fuel mileage and wind noise with the latter being the primary reason I am selling it. I wanted only one vehicle to commute to work and haul music equipment. It had to be of high quality, above 25mpg highway fuel rating, and have adequate storage space (I assumed the ride would be reasonably quiet as are competitors models).

There are many good things about the Tacoma and I hate to part with it for those reasons: 1) handles excellently, 2) mechanically very high quality, turning radius is unbelievably tight, 3) cargo area is perfect for my equipment, 4) drivers seat is very comfortable, 5) stereo is great sounding

A few other points of dissatisfaction: 1) clutch-pedal depression length is too long, 2) steering wheel tilt span is too short (should go higher for easier exit), 3) factory running boards are nearly non-functional, 4) rear seats in access model are comfortable for dogs but not for kids (an inch more)

Best vehicle I ever owned
By Nancy Meyers

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Toyota is the leader in small trucks. From the molded truck bed (not metal) to every feature right down to comfort. I have a very bad back, and have never been in discomfort after a long drive. The handling is superb. I can get into and out of small parking spaces with no problem. The truck is built sturdy. Rides like a dream. Takes heavy rain/snow slick roads heavily and safely (a reminder to readers: Careful driving in any vehicle is the main key factor). Fuel economy is excellent. The service by Toyota has been beyond excellence, right down to the personal reminders I receive when maintenance is due. Safety features built in give me peace of mind.

Safety, handling, on and off road, built well, comfort

none

Just what I expected by Toyota.
By Ric Larsen

2005 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Absolutely the best buy I have made with a vehicle. Only bad point...the windshield isn't rock proof. My truck has performed flawlessly and I look forward to my next year with it. Thank you Toyota!

Include cargo bed tiedowns at each corner. Only comes with two (at the rear).