Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 357 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great MPG, Good Buy
By grant

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought My Tacoma about 2 months ago. I drive round trip 50 miles everyday. If I drive the truck the "right way" I get about 19-20 MPG. I do about 65% highway miles, 35% city driving. That's awesome for a truck w/a stout V6. So The power is really great. I have had 3 V8 trucks, 2 V6's, and this matches all of them. The transmission shifts awesome, can't even tell it is shifting. It rides like a car, and has great room and all kinds of hidden spaces for storage. I have 3 kids under 6 and it has great room for car seats. Styling is great, however I wish the tilt steering was better, not much adjustability. The dash gauges are awesome. I can get anything in the bed. I love it, great buy.

Great MPG for a V6 midsize truck. Good power, good overall styling-good be better though. Great room and storage.

Has a loud deep noise when I have all the windows down, it vibrates the passenger seat, creating this noise I think. The paint seems to chip easily. Better tilt steering. Cab could be fancier inside. I wish Toyota would release their codes so you can performance tune. Overall nothing big though.

Mechanically Good; Poor Fit and Finish
By Nick

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First few months were a nightmare. Bought the truck when the model was brand new and still had a lot of bugs to work out. Was at the dealer for repairs at least once a week. The most significant problem was major paint flaking and chipping after only 5 weeks, just from driving in the snow on paved roads. Toyota would not admit that there was a problem with the paint. Most recently, at 53K, I have a frame that's rusting so badly that even 10-15 year old trucks I see on the road have frames that look much better. Again, Toyota claims there's nothing wrong with the paint on the frame. My final gripe is that the body dents and dings too easily--the sheet metal is just too thin.

I like the styling, and the fuel economy is okay, for a truck. My favorite feature is the quality of the interior, especially the dashboard finishes.

Toyota needs to learn how to paint a vehicle, and it also needs to accept responsibility and not claim that when you have a 5 week old vehicle with hundreds of chips in the paint just from driving on paved roads, you have "normal wear and tear."

Great Reliable Truck
By Jaime

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I got an Ext. Cab with TRD-Off Road Package. The truck is excellent in everyday driving. I drive through country roads with only 1 lane(in each direction) and find myself passing other trucks and vehicles all the time. Very dangerous but I have enough power to do it quickly! Very reliable truck, already have 50K in it and the engine and paint are as good as new. I drive fast and only get 17.5 MPG, but when I slow down I reach up to 19.5 MPG.

Look, engine sound after installing flowmaster catback, placement of radio (replaced it with a DVD system/backup camera), size vs capability, gear shifting without having to press a button, riding height, interior look.

Bluetooth, sunroof, bed lights(had to install my own), I feel like the sport seats that came with the TRD package cramp my back, hybrid option, or the option of manually selecting between 6 and 4 cylinders.

Great Truck
By Sold

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Love everything about this truck.

Love the electronic limited slip differential feature for wisconsin winters. With some weight in the back, no need for 4-wheel drive for the average driver. Love the composite box.

none

Best Truck I've ever owned
By KC

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck as a demo model in 2006. It has been flawless. I have always owned domestic trucks in the past, mostly Fords. The build quality of the domestics pale in comparison to my Tacoma. I have 45,000 miles and every panel is as tight as the day I bought it. No squeaks, rattles, or faulty interior pieces. I absolutely love my truck, and can't imagine parting with it, unless I was replacing it with a new Tacoma.

Looks, power, comfort (I added the Liquicell leather seats), utility, reliability.

My only gripe is I wish the stereo had an iPod jack and better speakers. we own a 2007 Yaris that cost less than half the price, and it has an iPod jack and better sound!