Used 2005 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 357 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great buy
By Joseph

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Make it short and sweet. I bought my taco used with exactly 20000 miles on it. I was an All-American car buyer until this vehicle and still doubted the value when I got it (Great Deal on the buy). Since I've gotten the truck I've put 36,000+ on it and never done anything other then oil changes. I literally love this truck more and more everyday I drive it. I would recommend it to anyone looking to buy a 4dr truck. Gets great gas mileage for a truck; has plenty of power on the street and off roading. I've only owned 4x4's(3 Jeep's, Explorer, F150 & 250, Blazer), and this is definitely one of the best I've owned. All around great buy.

The power, handling, and suspension. Comfort of the drive off roading or street. Interior has a decent set up; everything is positioned pretty good for driver access and has plenty of storage space.

Truthfully the comfort on long road trips is a little lacking (seats can't be upgraded unless aftermarket). Could have a little more leg room in the back (if the drivers tall, 6 ft+ the rear passengers don't have much leg room).

Like it more every day
By Greg

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've driven 51000 mi. with only oil changes and nothing else needed so far. The interior has superior fit and finish, and in the Michigan winters it makes not a peep, and is a testament to the build quality. Great styling turns heads, and I still get compliments after 4+yrs. With half city and half hwy driving I get 17.5mpg in the winter and 20.8mpg in the summer. Nothing has ever failed to work, and it climbs like a billy goat off-road. When I push the accelerator-it moves like all get out; feels like a V8 (a powerful V8).

Can be used as a workhorse, and hosed off for a classy ride afterward. Cold air conditioning, composite bed w/tiedown cleats, great sound system.

Can't think of any.

The best one yet
By justfine

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My '05 is my 3rd Tacoma in a row. Previously an '01, and before a '95. The road handling on this one is night and day difference than the other 2. It does everything that I ask off road and gets decent mileage, 18 around town and up to 26 on the highway. It's about 4 1/2 years old, 150,000 miles, and drives like new. Nothing but oil changes, tires and brakes so far!!!

Everything about it... looks, performance, and durability.

Drivers seat wear and comfort.

Great Reliable Truck
By J Rivera

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great truck all around. I drive 20K per year through mountain roads in Puerto Rico and currently have 65K. I had one minor leak with the power steering fluid that was covered by warranty. Other than that, the temperature/compass display was damaged a month ago is not covered by the extended warranty I purchased! It's a great solid truck. Very reliable and lots of aftermarket goodies to customize it and make it your own. I have performed all tune-ups at the dealer and have never been strained on the road. The average MPGs are 17.8 with a best of 20.7 and a worst of 16.7.

Love the factory bed and available tie-downs. The factory tire choice for my TRD was excellent. They lasted me 48,000 miles in Puerto Rico driving! (try it...) Look after modifications. Very smooth to drive and cab size is very comfortable. Engine seems to be very solidly built.

Sunroof, larger seats for the TRD, perhaps captains' chairs. Electrical sliding rear window. 6 speed auto transmission. MPG readout. Offer it with a larger gas tank so it could go 500 miles without refueling (my personal best is 396 miles).

05 Tacoma
By Buffalonickel

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have hauled 4 adults @ a time, pulled a trailer hauling a Harley all over the country, filled the bed with rocks, logs, mulch, topsoil, and I drive to work each day. We live in the Ozarks, so none of our roads are straight, flat, or smooth. The local mileage is 18 mpg and on a flat Highway 55/39 in Illinois or 70 through Kansas mileage climbed to 24 mpg running at 75 with the AC cooling me to a chill in 90 degree heat. The only complaint I have is the alarm system was futzed up and we had to install an aftermarket system. And that bed is made out of plastic. I want a steel bed with solid anchors like my old Hilux. So all-in-all this truck has been very easy to own. 60,000 miles!

Storage all over the interior. The flip up back seats are great for loading the dog in the back without messing up the interior and it is great loading stuff from the hardware, nursery, or gear.

We need steel beds with solid anchors. We need moonroofs (I had an excellent aftermarket moonroof the dealer had installed before I took delivery, but manufacturer does not offer it). Need leather-heated seats so stains and spills would not be a problem.