Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 216 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Pot hole eater
By Jeff

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased 04 standard cab new, basic nuts and bolts truck. I did put a cab cover on. The thing that stands out most on this truck is its durability. I live in a city that has lots of bad roads, and while Honda CVCC's are tiptoeing around pot holes I plow right through them, and love to look in my rear views at expressions of awe. I did have to replace the front brakes at 45K, but other than that it's very reliable and a blast to drive.

Reliability, inexpensive to maintain, fun to drive.

Better seating, I would say better power but its a 4cyl and was upgraded to 160hp in the 05 model year anyway.

good but not great
By esteband67

2004 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased 04 Tacoma new. Love the outside looks. Power is good but not great. Dash and controls good. The clock is not visible but who cares. Everyone complains about the 4 cup holders. I love it! Put change in one, water in another, and Coke in another. Still one left for passenger. Only have 40,000 and the water pump went out. Good thing I got the extended warranty. I thought I would get at least 20 mpg on freeway but only have gotten 19. I get 16 in city which is horrible. For that matter, I would have gotten a Tundra. Would of got more power out of it and more room. I doubt I would get another toy. Nice truck, but expensive. Would look for something cheaper next time.

outside looks

better gas mileage!!

Should have never traded it.
By Jabberwocky

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was a great first truck. These things can really take some punishment and are a blast to drive. Mileage was OK, at about 23 mpg. It did a lot better than expected in the winter. Always started and ran great. Never got stuck on me in the snow despite being RWD (200 lbs of bedrock fixed that). Really good ground clearance for a truck this size. Great handling and brakes. Responsive 4 cylinder with respectable torque. Easy to maintain. I really regret trading it in for a Camry 3 years later. The cons... well... hardly any. The interior is a little cramped but that's about it. I was dumb for trading it in.

Fun to drive around. Very durable. You can hit bumps, turns, and brakes so hard in this thing compared to other small trucks. It's hard to believe this is one of the cheapest pickup trucks on the market. You'll fall in love with it quick. People call them Tacos for short (mmm, I like tacos).

Make extended cab standard. Make locking rear differential or limited slip available on all models. Just about every truck tire on the market is better than the set of Goodyear Wranglers that come on a Tacoma.

Great Truck
By Driggers

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my first truck September 2004. Was hit from behind at about 55 mph while I was standing still. It totaled the Tacoma with on 7000 miles on it and put me in the hospital. I lived through it to buy another one before the larger 2005 Tacomas come out in November. I had bought another in Fort Worth shipped from Houston in November. I was asked why I bought another little truck exactly the same? The little truck saved my life and after three roll overs, after being hit from the rear the thing was still running, so quiet that it was still running till I turned it off. This is a great truck and I have its sister truck with about 31k four years later. You can't find a better little unit.

Great Truck!
By Scott

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in January 2008 from a guy who did not drive it much due to his job. He had it for 3 1/2 years and only had 9100 miles on it. It still has powertrain warranty until June '09. I know have 13000 miles and I love this truck. It is V6, auto. trans., power mirror, locks, windows. TRD package is awesome. It is fun to drive and very capable off-road. The truck looks great and my friends are jealous that I found this truck with such low miles. I have had many offers from people to buy this truck. It is not for sale as I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off. I pull a trailer that weights 2400 lbs. all the time and this truck handles the job without a problem.

4X4, TRD, auto. trans., Ground clearance is great and the off-road capabilities are endless.

Better fuel economy (it is a truck, though) and more comfortable, supportive front seats.