Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 179 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Selling after 2-years
By JIMnPHX

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

First Toyota I've ever owned. Was sick of my Ford Explorer and my Jeep with all the maintenance issues. Consumer Reports shows great reliability numbers so I purchased it. Over the two years I've not had one problem with the truck. I average 17 mpg. We've taken a couple long trips and the two kids (11 & 9) were very comfortable in the rear seats. However I did not enjoy the drivers seat on long trips. My right foot got cramped due to the angle I had to keep by foot at. I am 6-ft 1-in and just never felt at home in the seats. My wife is 5-8 and has no problems. We towed a pop-up camper at 70 mph and got 15.25 over 1200 mile trip thru the mountains of Az and Utah. 20 mpg on other trips.

Not having to go in for repairs. Gas mileage. Height of a 4x4 but without the cost. Liked the TRD package and the electric locking rear diff. Can go off road like 4x4 and not worry about smashing the underside due to low clearence.

Clock is poorly located. Put electric seats with better adjustment range for taller drivers. Truck does no give you a great sense of stability on the road at high speeds due to narrow wheel base. I've had this truck on 2-wheels, almost tipped over on winter road at 20mph by just hitting the brakes!

Taco Review
By Harry Nonnemacher

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Outstanding vehicle, overall good quality, very user friendly. 21 MPG average with a v6 5 speed. Excellent safety features as well. Plenty of power, very responsive acceleration. Overall good price. A good looking "beefy" truck!

Auto 4wd, airbags, rear differential lock. Vehicle Intrusion Detection.

The suspension is a little softer than the previous year Toyota, When they offer the off-road package the should put light bars and roll bars on it.

The little engine that could
By ren

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I have to say that this little truck is great for its size. Off road and this little guy can do it ok. I wish it had about 10-15 more ponies, but you cant have everything right. For the money this truck is great. It's reliable and its gets me from A to B. I wish I had an extended cab for more room but I manage in this one. Regular maintenance is good and easy. There is a weird creak or rattle in the dash at times. Wish it had a higher resale. Overall, not a bad little workhorse.

Acceleration with premium in the 5sp winds up pretty good. Sounds good, handles good, (I would know ;) mileage is a plus

Lift truck off ground a little higher. Make ground behind seat flat without that stupid crossbar behind on the wall. Improve power a little

Finally Got It!!!
By Troy

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I had always wanted a Tacoma,
unfortunately I could never afford one
until now. I started out about 3 years
ago with my first Truck a 1999 Ranger.
While this is a decent truck to start
out with, I still wanted my Tacoma. So
when I finally decided that I could
afford one I went down to the Toyota
dealer and bought a 2003 2.7L 5-Speed
4WD extended cab. It has loads more
power then my Ranger(2.5L) as well as
plenty of torque. While it is not a race
engine, it still has plenty of power for
what I need to do. I couldn't see
wasting my money on a Hemi just to
accelerate faster and get 8-10 MPG. The
4WD is superior to any other brand of
truck, way better than the ranger.

The 4WD is amazing, and yes a 4 cylinder can pull a Hemi out of a ditch when it gets stuck(I live in Ky it gets quite muddy and wet in the winter) and look good doing it. Plenty of ground clearance, cheaper then a New Dakota. Legendary Toyota reliability

Put the dang clock somewhere else. My steering wheel blocks it and I have to look around it to see it. I am not sure if they have fixed this on the 05 model yet. No other major improvements, it is a great truck!!! I will buy another when the time comes.

Love the Taco
By DDragon

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

TRD and Limited pkgs: Get rid of the
factory tires (BF Good All Terrain),
horrible in rain (pavement). Not sure
Limited pkg was worth the money, but
overall the Tacoma has been very
reliable. Works great off-road in the
mud, sand etc. even w/o 4x4. Great
for anyone wanting a truck that works
like a full size, but with the smaller
frame and enthusiasm to play hard.

Off-road "look" (badge, tires and suspension)

Move clock, more power, improve look of entire dash and instrument panel, gas mileage.