Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 179 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Love it
By love it

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this Tacoma! Thinking now of selling in order to get better fuel economy (steady 20 mpg now) great, reliable vehicle - only negatives are placement of the clock (behind the steering wheel basically) and interior picked up scratches on plastic too easily. Wish gas mileage was better and I could keep it!

Reliable, functional, good looking

Clock placement, durable interior plastic

Overall - NOT BAD
By Ronnie

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've driven 4 dr sedans all of my life and this was my 1st pick-up. I bought a Snug-Top Tonneau cover for it immediately as I wanted to have a huge trunk. Overall, the truck was well-worth the money.

The V6 offers plenty of power; the 4 dr cab is about as roomy as a small pick-up gets; the seat is at a comfortable height for entering/exiting (I am 6'0"), and the overall fit and finish is very nice.

The fuel economy is this vehicles biggest downfall - I average 17 MPG. I have about a 300 mile range on a tank of gas. The rear-end is extremely light (especially in rain/ice/snow).

I'll always buy Toyota.
By Americayay

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I get amazing gas mileage for a truck. I adore this truck. It's cute and incredibly reliable. The only problems I have ever had have been normal car maintenance problems (battery, tires, brakes, etc.) I also threw it out of alignment jumping train tracks at 16. Other than that, I'm pretty sure it's powered by a 40 watt lightbulb. Absolutely zero get up and go. ZERO. Clocked it at 0 - 60 in 27 seconds. I am NOT exaggerating. The cab is very cramped. I did not know my husband when I chose the truck and didn't realize I would one day marry a 6' 4" 300 pound guy. It's awful and painful to sleep in this truck. Storage space is zero. Overall, this is a wonderful truck. Particularly as a 2nd car.

The gas mileage is great. It drives fairly smoothly. Maintenance is practically zero. I've had no real problems that weren't self inflicted. The prerunner handles very well. Very high up.

The cab is SO small. I love this truck, but a little more leg room would be great. The extended cab was too expensive. Long distances are not a lot of fun. The tire changing equipment that came with the truck looks like thrift store junk. The jack is way too short. Not good when stranded.

Tacomas are a great little truck
By Joy Orton

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

These little Toyota 4X4s with a V6 are powerful fun little trucks to drive. They are reliable and frugal on gas. I only have two complaints. #1 They have a LOUSY turning radius. (I think Toyata did this to lower the rollover chance as the vehicle is slightly topheavy and thin... I like the metrics just not having them protect me.) #2 They don't have sufficient leg room for big people. My future wife and I are both over 6' I am longer in the torso and she longer in the legs. She cannot even fit her legs with the seats all the way back. This might not be as bad in the non King cab versions.

The power to weight ratio and the narrowness of the chassis to fit in between things when four wheeling.

Increase tuning radius and increase leg room... (Knees)

Great Truck, 10 years till my next one!
By Jeff Miles

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have to be honest that this is the best truck that I have ever owned. It does great on gas. I never have any problem with it. I use it for hauling, loading kayaks, mountain biking. And driving all over the country. In 5 years I have put 100,000 miles on it with no problem. I plan to put another 150,000 miles on it. I just keep the oil changed brakes and tires every two years and she runs like a champ. Great looking truck to. Next time though I think I am going to buy the v6. Better for towing my motorcycle!!