Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great truck
By Cedric

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tacoma now for 3 and a half years and I couldn't be happier. It meets my everyday needs and is very reliable. I've towed several heaviy loads in excess of 4000 lds several hundred miles without any problems. Highway ride is comfortable and road noise is at a minimum. Off road I haven't gotten into anything that I couldn't drive myself out of with the rear locker the comes with TRD package. Wheel travel and groung clerance have never been an issue even with the factory suspension. The only downfall I can think of is the bed size, would like it to be bigger. With a standard size toolbox there is not much bed space left.

Reliability!

All the improvements I can think of have been made in the new generation Tacoma.

Great Truck
By Mark

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Hands down the best vehicle I've owned.

Easy to put into 4 wheel drive.

The dashboard clock is obstructed behind the steering wheel

oh what a feelin!!!
By Jabo

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Guys, My truck rocks. I love the mini truck/ 4 wheel monster/ did you say mud? Look it has. This is my 1st Toyota ever, and I love it. It feels solid on any surface I put it on. My wife seems to enjoy driving it as much as I do. Im not sure why toyota went to such a bigger body style with the tacoma. I love it when I pull Z-71's out of the mud with my little truck. The extra cab has good room for me, the wife, and a 6, and 1 year old.

4x4. Perfect exterior styling. Push button Posi. The seatbelts are just as comfortable as the manual says they are. Did I say 4x4, and the name Toyota Tacoma. It just sounds tuff don't it...

OK. I've had fords that didnt have the rattles in the passenger side dash board like this truck does. The clutch squeals every time I push it, and I can hear a squealing from under the hood sometimes, as the a/c cycles on. M.P.G. NEEDS to be better. 17 is ok, but its only 190 horse power.

Perfect Compact Pickup
By Awesome Truck

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I am very pleased with this truck so far. I have had no problems at all with it. I bought it in Colorado and drove it home to Michigan. It was a fun trip.

TRD Package, rugged looks, locking rear differential, great off-road, very reliable. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

It feels a little small, I had a 4Runner before, so that may be why. I think if it was a little bigger it would look and better, and it would be nicer to put more in the bed. Also a bigger engine, would be nice... This is a "compact" truck though, so I guess I have no real complaints.

At 95K it's still truckin'
By Distance Driver

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Approaching 95,000 miles and my 2.7L 4 cyl is still zooming along. No let up in the power though I pause for thought when the truck seems to "lurch" at stop lights. It gets warmed up and everything seems to gell for the rest of my drive. Light weight so it can be too bouncey even in the highway and a challenge to control in wind driven rain. Pleased with the quality and had no really expensive or repeated problems. Pretty much the next 50K miles is make or break for me buying another Toyota since I've had less expensive Fords make it to this point just fine. I expect to be driving my '02 at 150K so here's hoping I see many more miles and that the next one is a Texas-made Tundra.