Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Bigger Is Not Always Better
By Flavellinator

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I looked at many new trucks and was not impressed. Sure, they're larger, faster, and hold more things, but that's not what I needed. I didn't want the worry of fitting into a small parking space, or making a U-turn, or driving on a narrow road. I needed a truck that held four people comfortably while still being able to haul my stuff, rode well, and was dependable. So I backtracked and purchased a used Tacoma. What a great decision! Its design is outstanding; the sightlines from sitting up high are fantastic. Gas mileage is good. It's comfortable too. Not everyone wants a big truck; it's a mistake that they removed this size of vehicle from the market, so get a good used one while you can.

Nice design. Fit and finish second to none. Smooth acceleration and handling. Versatile. Excellent sightlines from seat position. Standard Toyota dependability.

Needs body side moldings - it dings easily. Stiff ride, but it is a truck so don't be surprised. The clock should have been combined with the stereo (duh!); its location is horrible. Uncomfortable front seats for long trips

I'm hooked.
By T.J. Turrisi

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tacoma for two years and have done nothing but rotate the tires and change the oil. I've almost gotten it stuck twice — once on the edge of a swamp and once in three feet of snow — but the posi-track rear end and rear differential lock saved the day in both instances. I will be getting the truck inspected tomorrow morning, and my only complaint, if you want to call it that, is a squeaky belt at nearly 70,000 miles. I will most likely be purchasing Toyota trucks for the rest of my life, unless someone comes out with something better and that could take a while, and I doubt I will be buying very many. Be it a Tundra, Tacoma or Land Cruiser, I will be getting the best for my money.

Seat belt retraction, turning radius (a V8 Tacoma would be pretty insane too).

My Truck
By Schotts631

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new in 2002 and besides a replaced power steering pump (under warranty) I have had no mechanical issues. Toyota quality is second to none. Only gripes I have is the placement of the clock, and a jittery ride over bad pavement, and mediocre gas mileage (18 mpg avg.) but hey, its a truck. Stock tires were crap and after replacing them with bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's the handling improved greatly. This truck has never let me down, and I'll probably have it forever. Its still as solid as the day I drove it off the lot. It always pays to have a great pickup.

Size. Its much easier to park this thing than a full size chevy or ford or even tundra.

New tires hands down. Maybe add the TRD supercharger. I would if I had money to blow.

Good Pick Up
By Hooray_beer

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Solid and reliable. I now have 120K and have only had to replace the power steering pump which I got from the dealership. It went out again in one month. I went ahead and replaced it on my own. The gas mileage is terrible for a truck of that size. On a good note, this is a great PU that I feel safe with my two kids and wife in. I also feel confident that I can go anywhere at anytime. PS. I pulled a Dodge 3500 4x4 w/Cummins pullin a Chevy 1500 SB out of the sand with no problem. 4 Wheel Low with a forgiving tow strap.

Overall quality and reliability.

Better gas mileage.

great truck
By Gary

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have found not problems with the truck. when needed the 4 wheel drive is indispensible. have never been stuck and vehicle always starts. Installed an engine block heater for cold climates.

4 wheel drive. good highway truck