Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Bigger Is Not Always Better
By Flavellinator

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I looked at many new trucks and was not impressed. Sure, they're larger, faster, and hold more things, but that's not what I needed. I didn't want the worry of fitting into a small parking space, or making a U-turn, or driving on a narrow road. I needed a truck that held four people comfortably while still being able to haul my stuff, rode well, and was dependable. So I backtracked and purchased a used Tacoma. What a great decision! Its design is outstanding; the sightlines from sitting up high are fantastic. Gas mileage is good. It's comfortable too. Not everyone wants a big truck; it's a mistake that they removed this size of vehicle from the market, so get a good used one while you can.

Nice design. Fit and finish second to none. Smooth acceleration and handling. Versatile. Excellent sightlines from seat position. Standard Toyota dependability.

Needs body side moldings - it dings easily. Stiff ride, but it is a truck so don't be surprised. The clock should have been combined with the stereo (duh!); its location is horrible. Uncomfortable front seats for long trips

I'm hooked.
By T.J. Turrisi

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tacoma for two years and have done nothing but rotate the tires and change the oil. I've almost gotten it stuck twice — once on the edge of a swamp and once in three feet of snow — but the posi-track rear end and rear differential lock saved the day in both instances. I will be getting the truck inspected tomorrow morning, and my only complaint, if you want to call it that, is a squeaky belt at nearly 70,000 miles. I will most likely be purchasing Toyota trucks for the rest of my life, unless someone comes out with something better and that could take a while, and I doubt I will be buying very many. Be it a Tundra, Tacoma or Land Cruiser, I will be getting the best for my money.

Seat belt retraction, turning radius (a V8 Tacoma would be pretty insane too).

Good Pick Up
By Hooray_beer

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Solid and reliable. I now have 120K and have only had to replace the power steering pump which I got from the dealership. It went out again in one month. I went ahead and replaced it on my own. The gas mileage is terrible for a truck of that size. On a good note, this is a great PU that I feel safe with my two kids and wife in. I also feel confident that I can go anywhere at anytime. PS. I pulled a Dodge 3500 4x4 w/Cummins pullin a Chevy 1500 SB out of the sand with no problem. 4 Wheel Low with a forgiving tow strap.

Overall quality and reliability.

Better gas mileage.

Good truck with minor bugs
By riddleja

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Major components are all solid and reliable, but fit & finish aren't up to my expectations of a Toyota. Numerous dashboard rattles (not fixed after 20 trips to 3 dealerships), had a water leak, and windshield washer pump broke. Gas mileage could also be better, but it's on par with similar vehicles.

4 doors and a bed! This thing defines practical.

Fix the rattles! Interior styling was improved in the newer models. Improved fuel economy would be nice.

great truck fun to drive
By Jesse Gonzalez

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my tacoma for a 2 year and what 2 year it has been. The tacoma is a great truck that I would recomend to anyone. Its TRD package is great when going off road, its v6 engine is very powerfull I have towed my 22 foot boat without a problem. It has good leg space in front as well in the rear. The differential lock is great when you ever need to get out of a muddy place. Its ground clearence is more than enough to go over a few step hills. Overall the tacoma is and extrodinary truck with its great engeneering and its Reliability is fanominal. The only downfall is its clock, make it a little more visable.

Its power to tow, great suspension, awesome radio, comfortable seats, good leg room, its great off-roading capbilities, and its RELIABILITY!

move the clock to where its a little more visable when driving