Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

I love this truck
By Scott

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have used this truck extensively offroad, mostly desert driving. Swapped stock shocks (I ruined them very quickly) for Bilsteins, huge difference. This truck performs extremely well offroad if not driven beyond its limits, yet still maintains a quality ride on-road for a 4x4. The only problem I've had is the cruise control stopped working around 40,000 miles. I have also used it since new as a tow vehicle for a desert race car and even though beyond capacity, am still impressed with how well it tows. The rear leaves are starting to sag, but only because of overloading. I plan to keep this truck forever. Toyota fan for life!

5-speed transmission with 2.7 liter performs amazingly well. Shift on the fly 4-wheel drive is also a fantastic feature. I cannot say enough about how well this truck works offroad. I consider it to be the best looking Toyota truck ever made.

Stock shock absorbers were very weak. Gas mileage should be better for a 4-cyl. Clock placement is horrible. Inner tailgate could have been made sturdier. Headlight lenses have gotten somewhat opaque.

Best Truck (Vehicle) Ever Owned
By polliar1

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Besides trying to boost the value of my Toyota Tacoma, I thought I'd let you know this is by far the best truck I've ever owned. 82K miles and still drives better than the day I purchased this used vehicle.

Gas mileage.

Leather option.

It's been a pleasure
By AdamE

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Well I'm selling my truck after three great years (only because I've decided to become a sedan guy). I could not be happier with my Tacoma over the years. Got regular oil changes and that was it for the whole three years. No mechanical problems ever.

Still solid as the day I bought it
By MCJ

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first pickup and I was drawn to it by the practical mix of "clean" and "dirty" space. It's big enough for most tasks, but still easy (and extremely fun!) to drive. Even though it has over 100K miles, it still feels as solid as the day I bought it (used with 15K). I'm still amazed at how well it has held its value. When I got it, I found I had a lot of new friends which proves the saying: "The only thing better than having a truck is having a friend with a truck."

Versatility and solid feel when driving. Great in the snow, but would be better with ABS option that I did not get. Looks great clean or dirty. Good power for hauling whatever. Previous owner had installed rubberized bed liner. Dependability has been second to none.

Bed is a bit short and gas mileage isn't stellar. Stereo isn't great, even after upgrading speakers and head unit. There isn't a lot of storage space in the cab.

It's been great
By JDWOITON

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this truck for 6 years and it's held up very well. I've added a matching color camper shell on it. It well serves my two biggest hobbies, music and camping. I can pack a bunch of equipment in it and keep it secure wherever I go. It's been wrecked twice and the value of the truck was always too high to total it.

Reliablity, I live in a suburban area where a car is vital to everything.

My biggest complaint is the turning radius with a double cab wheelbase, it's hard to park in tight spaces. I'm also often hitting the curb on a tight right-hand turn into traffic. I think later models are bigger, but I feel slightly cramped in the drivers seat and I'm an average build 6 feet tall.