Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great Truck
By Mike

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Awesome truck, no problems at all. Bought it with 130,000 miles on it and it runs like new. Has the rear locking differential which makes a huge difference on snow and ice (not a substitute for 4x4 though). Have around 300 pounds in the bed - haven't had to worry about getting stuck in the snow yet. It's a handsome looking truck. Well designed on the exterior. The interior has a few problems, most notably being the location of the clock. The seat belts don't always retract, but that's not a big deal. Gas mileage is about 17 mpg, maybe a little more. Great truck though. It is 2wd but is still a very capable truck.

Fun to drive, locking rear differential (TRD model), good looks

Relocate the clock is the main thing. No complaints otherwise.

Update from OKHunter
By OKHunter

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Update to a review written not long after I bought the truck. Now have almost 130K miles. Did the normal timing chain/water pump at around 90K, and have had all the scheduled maintenance performed. Only problem I thought was a design flaw was the front ball joints, which wore out at about 60K miles, due to poorly designed seals. Also replaced the stock muffler w/ a Flowmaster, and the stock air filter w/ a K&N cold air induction kit; that raised the mileage to about 19 mpg combined. I plan to drive this thing until the wheels fall off, then I'm going to put 'em back on and drive it until they fall off again. If you want a solid truck for the long haul, look no further.

Build quality of everything. Engine hasn't lost a step, tranny is strong, interior is holding up well, not too many rattles. I can still climb whatever trees I want in this thing.

Anything I would add here they've already incorporated into the newer models. If you want a strong used truck for less than $10K, go find one of these babies that has been well maintained. You won't be sorry.

Swiss Army Knife
By looseshoes

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle does it all -mostly-. Hauls 4 or 5, carries cargo, gets decent mileage, super-dependable. Not too sporting on the road, but not expected really. I get about 21 mpg with 50/50 city/hwy driving. Has 70k miles and only problem was I had to have power steering pump replaced - under warranty.

Versatility and mpg for what it is. Had good factory tires that lasted until 60k for me.

Dashboard clock is in a weird place so you cannot see it easily. Harsh ride.

She's my baby!
By Carl B

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Toyota pick up; I've owned 1 1986 1/2 ton and now 2 Tacomas. My 2001 Tacoma Pre-runner Doublecab is still as exciting to drive as the day I drove it off the lot. Fuel economy with the 2.7L 4 cylinder (which isn't offered in the new Tacoma Pre-Runner Doublecabs by the way) is absolutely outstanding (around 25 to 28 hwy and 20 to 22 city) if I don't drive like a maniac. I'll neve give up this truck; it's the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Looks (She still looks great after 7 years and 98000 miles), fuel economy and overall comfort.

None.

Best Truck (Vehicle) Ever Owned
By polliar1

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Besides trying to boost the value of my Toyota Tacoma, I thought I'd let you know this is by far the best truck I've ever owned. 82K miles and still drives better than the day I purchased this used vehicle.

Gas mileage.