Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2001 Tacoma Xtra Cab 3.4L 4x4 5-Speed: Best Truck Ever
By lucas2718

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My Tacoma, which I bought on September 11, 2001, and named Liberty, interestingly enough, has been the toughest and most reliable vehicle of which I have ever known. It has nearly 170,000 miles, and aside from the usual replacement of tires, filters, and brake pads, the only maintenence I've ever had done was preventative (timing belt, water pump, drive belts, and spark plugs at 100,000 miles). Aside from that, EVERYTHING is original, including the clutch, which I'm hard on, and even the freon for the A/C! Unbelievable! In short, the truck still drives like the day I bought it, it hardly burns a drop of oil, and if this old girl doesn't make it to 250,000 miles, I'll eat my hat!

Tacoma Tuff
By Justin Doyle

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 SR5 with a 5 speed and 2.4 liter motor. I have used it for work everyday I have had it. I have routinely overloaded it to the point it has sat almost to the floor and yet it takes it day in and day out. I actually blew the transmission at 59,900 because of excessive loading and drove the truck to the dealership. The dealership said you don't have any gears left they are gone where is the tow truck? I told them I drove it here and they simply didn't believe me. Once that one major repair was done the new trans has taken even more abuse and the clutch only has 195,000 on it for day to day hauling and the occasional red line shift just for fun. What a great truck!

230,000 mile report
By Dan sanchez

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this truck for 6 years. it has 230,000 miles and it still runs great. no big problems just had to change the cat converters. and the struts and rear shocks. kind of a stiff ride but it's a truck. mileage is ok. could be better. i love this truck and would recommend it to anyone.

Love the v6 and trd package look. off roading, optional

gas mileage.

Toyota man for life
By mike

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck in 2001 and wanted the double cab for the room. The interior could use a little more comfort but it has held up. This truck now has 135,000 on it and it has been the most reliable truck that I have ever owned. Just do the normal preventative maintenance and I think this truck will last forever. I have had to replace the front headlights and signal lights because they became fogged out. This truck has the TRD package on it and people think it is a 4WD. Take care of this truck and it will take care of you.

Body style. TRD package look. Reliable

Fuel mileage

145,000 Miles and Going Strong
By Rod

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Original Owner of my 2001 Tacoma, 145,000 miles no issues at all. Oil changes every 4 to 6,000 miles always used Valvoline 10/30. Live in ABQ so no rust issues. Pre-runner (TRD) with rear locking differential, great for snow and mud. Had some early issues with the front brake rotors but went back to Toyota original parts and issue was resolved. This is a GREAT truck and would recommend it to everyone, they are however very hard to find ($8,000 to $12,000 price tag) now since the 2004 and newer Tacomas are having the accelerator problems with the Toyota recalls. 300,000 mile old school Toyota's will live forever!

Versatility!

TOYOTA - BRING back this body style and watch sales go back up! New style after 2004 model is too large for this market class. I would consider a new one for my wife if one were available (Hilux not available in US either) of course I am keeping my 2001 and it is not for sale or trade!