1999 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Review: A Great truck to own, wish I c

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab - Consumer Review

A Great truck to own, wish I could buy another.
By wolfnium on

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my truck new in 1999.
I ran 2 crank cases of 10w-30 Castrol regular motor oil.
After that, I have used 10w-30 Castrol synthetic motor oil ever since.
I change oil about every 5000 miles.
I have had to replace the electronics to repair a left turn signal issue that cost about $500.00.
I have had to replace the power steering pump, twice as the first one was a rebuild and under warranty. I have had to replace the battery once and also the catalytic convert (about $1000.00).
I still have the original clutch and have replaced the front brakes and rotors one time.
My truck now has 456,5000+ miles on it. I would drive it to across the US with no worries. It has been a great truck.
It is now 2/28/2016 and my truck now has 478,000+ miles on it. I still have the original clutch and motor. I have some issues now but they are minor as the truck is still a reliable form a transportation to and from work. I now average 250 miles a week instead of 700 as when I lived in Atlanta.
I have noticed that some of the plastics are starting to break or show some serious signs of wear.
I also notice that my gas mileage has decreased some. I am down around 20mpg where years ago I was around 26mpg.

8-27-2016
Update...
Truck odometer will soon show 485,000 miles. It has been a great truck. The AC no longer works. The interior is showing signs of wear.
I now drive about 25 miles one way to each day now instead of 70. It still runs great. 15 months it should have 500,000 miles. It still has original clutch and motor.

• Logic of controls
  • Fuel economy
  • Maintenance cost

• Rain snow traction
  • Climate control

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review