Used 1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great Truck
By KeithK

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck used with 31k and currently have 99k - tires, water pump, frt, brakes and shocks/struts are all that I have in it. Power from v6 is good but thrashy at WOT, good gas mileage for 4x4 - 20 mpg, but I have gotten as good as 22 on highway at 65 mph for 3 hours. Interior is utilitarian but showing absolutely no wear, 5 spd is a little whiney in 1st and 2nd - no problem with power on highway - very rarely have to take it out of 5th to pass. Trailering is good provided you have draw tight hitch. Payload is one thing that concerns me - leaf springs seem to be fatigued even when not fully loaded weight wise - new shocks did not help - still rides well though -A/C works well in Tx heat,

Toyota reliability and overall stance of truck - it is substantial and beefy. It is not a plush car like ride and that is fine - IT IS A TRUCK. Go anywhere 4x4 with moderate comfort inside - a bed liner is a must.

I know that the 07 has addressed my issues - upgraded interior and more sound deadening materials. Looks and construction could not be better - there really is no telling how long it will run but maintenance is the key - it still gets 20 mpg with 99k on odo - if you find one taken care of, buy it.

My truck is going to run forever
By toys99

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I currently have 131000 miles on my truck all I have done is oil changes. Truck runs like a top. Yeah, the seats are not good, but hey its a truck.

I expect to go to 300000 miles.

Better seats.

205,000 miles still rolling
By JAS

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this new from a dealership in 1999 trading in my 1996 Tacoma with 300,000}+ miles on it (should have kept it as back up it was still running great but was STD cab) This truck has been through 2 front end collisions one costing over $16,000 in damages, two side hits and one roll down a hill! It has spent many months in body shops. Regardles of how hard I beat it to death it still keeps going. I've had to replace the clutch at 200k which was the first major part excluding parts replaced in accidents. All in all I will never buy another make or model. Hopefully Toyota will see this and send me one for my family of 5. It's a bit cramped! I'll drive it to death & then try to buy another

4WD low! I pull stumps out of the ground with this truck. It will climb the side of a building in 4 low. After adding headers and a supercharger (TRD of course) I have a grat time maing those little noise maker psuedo ten second cars eat my gravel! Only thing I would change is adding dual cab!

None, this was the perfect frame for this truck. The new 06 genetration looks just like a Dakota to me. I can't afford to buy a new one nor part with my 99 so I save for the day that Toyota puts another nice looking Tacoma on the road! Until then I see a new engine or tranny in my next 100k.

taco review
By luke ferricher

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I like the ride quality and the reliability, but the seats are horrible! If you buy this truck and plan on going on those long trips then I recommend that you purchase some new seats. "back pain, big time!" all of the other tacoma owners that i know say the same thing

A Good on gas 2.7 ltr engin.

BEST LOOKING TRUCK PERIOD!!
By Lt. Duke

1999 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great looking truck. Reliability is self proven. V-6 has good power. Quality is unmatched. I have had several other trucks, but this is the overall best truck I have had. Not the most comfortable truck, not a lot of fancy buttons, simple yet refined.

LOOKS and reliability....

better seats, smoother ride.