Used 1998 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Happy it is in Demand!
By Bob Harvey

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Have several offers for it above "Edmunds Values." Several are willing to pay $1,000 to $2000 above "blue book rated value"... Soon as I get a few projects done with its functionality, "Show me the MONEY!"

287 K and still strong
By Mike

1998 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Why did they bother with the later tacoma's? This one gets heavy use and I can run it with rebuilds and regular maintenance for much less than a new tacoma. I'm a forester and drive 75 to 100 miles to where it goes off the pavement for the day. Its had two transmissions (one bad from the rebuilder) , new heads from the bad local gas, three new radiators from the log trucks and gravel hacks. Biggest problem now is its become hard to get real toyota parts. MPG still 23. Biggest advantage is the size. It fits into grown over logging roads that a full sized PU won't - however, it has become difficult to locate in parking lots with all the oversized vehicles.

the yota
By nic burt

1998 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

14 years 285k miles. Best truck ever. Only thing I have ever replaced was idol air control valve. But never stranded me. Just idoled a little rough lol took this truck everywhere in some rough situations. My kids are 5 years old aandwill drive this truck when they turn 16

Bulletproof Pickup
By srsage107

1998 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned my 98 Tacoma for nearly a decade now. The truck is running 238k miles and the last California smog it had last year, it passed with flying colors. The mechanic was not surprised in the least that with all of the regular normal maintenance I do, that the Tacoma was still passing smog like it had at 5k miles.

In the entire time I have owned my Tacoma, I have only replaced the battery once, the water pump and radiator at 220k miles and the alternator at 200k miles. I use only genuine Toyota parts. This truck has hauled boats, motorcycles, sand, cement, u-hauls and still sparkles like the day it came out of the factory and has not lost any power over the years. Solid truck!

Super reliable, I have never been stranded anywhere Ground clearance makes oil changes easy Spacious bed Surprisingly powerful even in overdrive ECT switch for Transmission & Overdrive button for fuel saving on Freeway

It's a Toyota, nothing to improve

still going
By headhunter130

1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My truck has over 357,000 miles and has been through it.