Used 1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Still going
By GJ

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have owned this truck for nearly eleven years. I have had to replace the starter and the catalytic converter. Just replaced the shocks, struts and front brake pads yesterday. The AC is still strong and overall the vehicle runs great. Mainly, I have only had to do the regular maintenance. It has only been back to the dealer once to replace a faulty sensor in the first few months that I owned it. I bought this because of Toyota's reputation and have not been disappointed in any way.

Durability and reliability.

Truck'n awsome
By dave

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is rock solid and a blast to drive. It's like a sports car with a truck body. The sr5 v6 is a performance machine. It's a little thirsty though. Fun comes with a price. Can't wait to but my next. If I live that long.

great amount of power and the sporty looks. fun 5 speed.

better fuel mileage, cup holders.

Bullet Proof
By taco ma

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Remember the old advertisement when the Tacoma gets hit by a meteor, then drives out of the crater?? It's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much... I just went over 200,000 miles and it is still going strong. Only problem ever was a starter. Puts all Chevy's or Ford's to shame.

Bullet-proof build quality, goes anywhere in any snow storm.

Front seats need to be more comfortable.

Solid
By PR TAcoma

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab PreRunner V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my PreRunner SR5 V6 XtraCab new in fall of '98 and it still runs like a champ. It's only got 127k on it and had no major work done (tires, a few batteries, ac fan/resistor, starter contacts -- that's it). Considering how neglectful I've been, it's run great. I've taken it on several long road trips and moved across the country with a full bed, but not towing anything, and it's not missed a beat. City mileage is not that good at around about 12-15 depending on the temp and red lights. Have gotten it up past 24 on mountain highways, and currently am getting about 18/city keeping the engine under 2000 RPM when possible. Stinks in snow without modifications is the worse of it.

Compact, durable, good clearance, reliable, excellent build.

Does what I want it to do. I'll get another car if I need improvements.

One of the toughest trucks in the world.
By Eugene

1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I wanted an old Toyota truck ever since I went on a missions trip to Haiti a few years ago. The roads were so bad and the people were so poor there, that the only vehicles that survived were the old Toyota trucks. I bought one with 118k miles, and it has about 150k so far. The truck has been reliable, except it ran poorly for a while due to the timing belt slipping a few teeth. I blame the Toyota dealer, because they replaced the timing belt and water pump right after I got the truck. Now, I do all my own maintenance, and I hope to drive it 300k miles before any major overhaul is needed. There is no rust on the body yet. I get about 21 mpg on the highway, and it has a lot of torque.

Durable engine and tranny. Easy to engage 4WD. Simple dash layout.

Wish the 3.4l V6 engine had a steel timing chain to make it more bullet proof.