Used 1997 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Unbelievable
By Bobo

1997 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

260000 miles It still runs as good as the day I bought it. No oil leaks. 5000 miles between oil changes, oil is on the stick mark. No squeaks. Original clutch still very strong. Manual trans, all boxes very tight. No whines or noises. Steering box is perfect, The paint is still an (8+) This truck has taken me through more crap than any vehicle I can ever remember. I've gone through 4 sets of front brakes, rear are originals, 1 starter, 2 batteries. I still have the second set of spark plugs in it and the second timing belt which I think I better change real soon. Don't let your wife use it or you'll never get it back.

Visibility, power, comfort, handeling. Climbs like a mule.

Ol' Reliable
By ThirdGear

1997 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab SB

Awesome vehicle! After 128k miles, no problems. Engine and cruise control work perfectly. Interior components have started to rattle a bit, but that is to be expected on a truck with so many miles. Good gas mileage, good power in V6 model. Speakers aren't great. Back seats don't have enough room for passengers (but space is good for cargo). Front seats also a little uncomfortable, especially if you're tall.

Reliability, power, performance.

More comfortable seats, better stereo, but its all moot, this is a '97!

One word - RELIABLE
By bucnasty

1997 Toyota Tacoma SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My tacoma has 190k on it and it has started and gotten me where I needed to be every day. Motor still runs like new, the only thing I have ever had to do to the truck was put brakes on, replace shocks and CV boot covers, and replace a rack and pinion mounting bushing, I've probably only spent around 500 dollars on maintenance on this truck and have owned it for 6 years, with 190+ K miles on it. I honestly think it would run forever.

Reliable, good looking

Better fuel economy.

I am so Proud of our Tacoma!!!
By Donna Burgstrom

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

My husband has used our Tacoma for his handyman business for the past 3 years. He carries a FULL load of tools in the back daily under the shell AND tows a trailer filled with you name it (heavy weight) stuff on a daily basis. It just turned 178k miles and has never had ANY problems. He just put it through smog to get it registered and it went through with flying colors. It is just an awesome truck!!!!

The extended cab is big enough to sit in!

Disappointment for a Toyota
By Josh C.

1997 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

Within a year of purchase my Tacoma overheated twice on a flat interstate at normal speeds and once in West Virginia. Auto trans prevents effective use of already limited power and gas mileage has never been above 22. Under load, it sinks to around 12. It now has 106k miles and I've repaired the transmission linkages 4 times and had numerous electrical problems. Very disappointing for the reputation of a Toyota.

Decent stock stereo with tape deck. Good sound quality.

More efficient 4 cyl and better steering. Turning radius is similar to a school bus.