Used 1995 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1995 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

One of best vehicles ever made. Really.
By Truck Guy

1995 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

After 170,000 miles of 4WD mountain trails (hard core kayaker and climber), highway trips, towing, hauling, being lent to friends, pulling stuff heavier than rated capability, etc., this truck runs like it did when I bought it new 12 years ago. It's been a second vehicle for years now, and I often meet guys who have 400,000+ miles on these trucks. I've never had an iota of trouble with this truck (except for ripping the antenna off in a car wash). This is a truck that will go 500,000 miles, easy. Plus, it's still quick and fast (110 mph). Still looks relatively good. Wouldn't ever sell it. If you were lucky enough to buy one of these, don't ever sell it.

Engine is unbelievably good with more horsepower than needed. Toyo engineers designed this engine for the much heavier 4Runner, so in the Tacoma, it's unbelievable. This Tacoma is one of the best trucks ever built. (I also have an awesome F150).

Best Truck
By BEST TRUCK OUT THERE

1995 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck used in 1996 with 12000K. This is the best truck out there now. I put 260,000 miles on it and it has never left me stranded. The only complaint is the ride is bumpy now, but it's very strong for a 4 cylinder. The bed is very strong. People underestimate my truck when they see it, but when they see the load I put on it, they are surprised. Now I bought a new 2006 Tundra top of the line limited with TRD pkg. I would recommend Toyota to everyone who is looking for reliability, economy and gas mileage.

Reliability.

My 95 Tacoma after 11 years.
By Jim

1995 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My tacoma is now 11 years old with 84000 miles on it. I have the original tires and brakes. I am trading it in for a new 2006 Tacoma just because I want a new truck. The '95 still runs great. I do not regret having bought it. I do all the suggested maintenance and have had no unexpected maintenance issues. The truck has never let me down. I go off road in Utah and Colorado and have a great time with it. Biggest beef is the flimsy drink holder that pulls out from dash. A pop can will bounce around dumping out pop. Another is the brittle paint; it chips too easily.

Strong V6! Very smooth transmission. Reliable; it never let me down. Good off road performance; I never got hung up or had to back out of anyting. Did say it is good looking?

Drink holder pulls from dash: flimsy + blocks heater controls. Paint chips very easy. Throttle is too quick for smooth off-road driving. Brakes not linear with pedal pressure. Suspension becomes unstable on some roads.

Durable Truck
By Meross

1995 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck is fantastic. 182,000 miles and going strong. Drives like new, never breaks, and super reliable. This truck has never broken down- never- and starts every morning like it was new. Original clutch, original starter, original alternator, never a valve job, and the thing still averages 20mpg combined city/highway. This is simply a terrific small truck.

Go-anywhere four wheel drive. The transfer case shifter is a cool feature- much better than pushing a button! The reliability is amazing.

The cup holder is my only complaint- tricky location and tends to move way too much when driving, spilling the contents of the drink.

Great little truck
By Tacoma Man

1995 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck after many years of saving up with 114K. Got the 2.7L I4, got good power without sacraficing too much mileage. Gas mileage is about 18.5. However, drivers side rear leaf spring broke shortly after purchase. Was a heafty $400 to replace with aftermarket springs. I was told this was very common with first year Tacomas. Overall, no major problems yet, doesn't burn oil, dont make noise. Ride is a little rough though.

Tightness of the truck, no lag in steering, transmission, or suspension. Love the body style, includes a full-size tire beneath bed, and quite preppy for an inline 4. Otherwise, like the compartment underneath the rear seat and sliding window.

new rear leaf springs, tacomas after about January of '96 should be fine to my knowledge. Ride was stiff even with old springs. Also, would like bucket seats instead of 60/40 split bench.