Used 2011 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Great Car
By jschwartz

2011 Toyota Sienna Limited 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I had a Dodge Grand Caravan in the late 90's and loved the space (not the reliability).
Since then have had a Tahoe, Envoy, CRV and Volvo S80 (the worst piece of junk I ever owned).
This car is just for my wife and I (and a dog).
We love this car.
It is spacious, lets us hang clothes on a trip and in general is just a wonderful experience.
To those who complain about the NAV, I would say learn to use it properly.
Further, no NAV system is perfect.
I have not used the voice activation, but from what I can see in the manual, it works great.
Love the bluetooth as I do not always hear my phone, but with the connected bluetooth, never lose a call.
I have averaged almost 21 MPG.

The driver's seat slides back when entering or exiting the vehicle. Bluetooth is terrific (although I haven't used the voice activation yet). XM traffic is great around the city as I use the car to commute 37 miles each way through a metropolitan area. Space is fantastic and the lounge seats are great. Love the ease of either using the 3rd row or folding it down.

I agree that the fake wood could be improved and the trial XM does not include some of the premium channels (come on - for 40 K+). Because of the bar under the lounge seats, can't put rubber floor mats there, as the seat needs to slide back and forth to get to the 3rd row.

Cross Country Machine!
By daf62757

2011 Toyota Sienna XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my brand new 2011 Sienna XLE about a month ago. I was going to take a cross country trip (Indy to San Diego, LA, San Fransisco, Elko, Grand Junction, Denver, Salina to Indy.

I wanted a large van but not a full size van. My wife loved the Toyota and after about a month of dealing with local Indy dealers on my 2006 Rav4 as a trade in, I finally bought one.

The selection of available vans was better at some dealers than others. I bought from the dealer in Anderson, Indiana because they gave me the most for my trade in.

After a month of ownership and about 6K miles, I can report back that this mini van is excellent. It got very good gas mileage, comfortable, and fun to drive.

Automatic sliding doors and back door. Makes loading and unloading people and luggage an easy chore. My wife's grandkids loved the DVD entertainment system. The instruments take a bit of learning but you figure it out and quickly master operating all the controls.

Well, better gs mileage would be wonderful, but for the size of the van and the large V-6 engine, it goes get good gas mileage. I drove 75 in some states (Colorado, Utah, California, New Mexico, and Kansas) and was able to get 26 MPG.

It was the right way to go!
By hcruz1980

2011 Toyota Sienna XLE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just bought our 2011 Sienna last week and it drives like a dream!
Steering is so smooth, turns and corners effortlessly.
Has great pick up.
Feels like your driving a living room on wheels.
The first few days I felt like the car was almost too luxurious for me!
Definitely spend the money or negotiate the price to get the XLE model.
Ours has leather seats and navigation.
I figure the dvd can be bought after market.
Leather because our kids would have destroyed the fabric seats.
It was between this and the Honda Odyssey.
Test drove both and in the end it was a youtube video that helped us decide. Type in Toyota Sienna vs. Honda Odyssey and look for video from New York Training.

Seat warmer, steering wheel is so smooth. Space in between front seats for your purse. One touch sliding doors and liftgate. Deep rear well (which would be the trunk space). Ease of folding the third row seats. COLOR!! Ours is the Salsa red, we've already gotten like 10 compliments on the color alone. Blue tooth can be answered on the steering wheel, Navigation system is awesome. Push start ignition is pretty cool. Sun shades that come already in both 2nd and 3rd row!

Better material on the floor right where people step to get into the van (not sure what that area is called). Currently it is a grey plastic material and it's already scratched.

There is no other to compare
By aenewman

2011 Toyota Sienna 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought our "swagger wagon" after much research this past April. We tried every competitive minivan and even a few SUVs, but we need 7-passenger seating so the field is limited.

We've had two Dodge Caravans and they began to fall apart after about five years. The Kia is junk IMO. So, it cams down to the Odyssey and the Sienna.

The Sienna won for three reasons:
1. Price beats the Honda by a few thousand,
2. Consumer Reports show Toyota reliability is unbeaten by anyone in the long run (and we hope to keep this van for many years)
3. The Honda is just plain ugly on the outside (looks like a hearse). IMO, the 2011 Sienna is the best looking minivan ever.

- Packed with safety features. rated by CR as the safest minivan. - Unquestionable Toyota quality. - Awesome styling. - Incredible power plant - 266 HP, tons of torque and easier on gas than our old gutless 3.0 L Caravan. - Unmatched interior space. - Very quiet on the road (much more so than the Honda). - Exceptional handling. - Tight steering radius - very maneuverable for a long vehicle. - Awesome engine sound. The V6 has a growl that this former muscle-car owner been missing.

All very minor: - No single switch to turn on all interior lights at once. A small thing but a strange omission. - Extra fob for the remote door locks makes for a pocketful. Even Ford can put the remote buttons on the key. - No alarm/buzzer when you get out and leave the headlights turned on. Auto-off looks after this, but it's still unnerving. - No way to check/refill transmission fluid. I've had no need for this, but it just seems odd. (Perhaps it's paranoia from owning Dodges with notoriously bad transmissions). - Front seat belts are very "grabby" when you lean forward or when pulling them out to buckle up. They lock unless you pull them very gently.

Highly Recommended
By texsteeler

We love our Sienna.
We’ve had it for approximately 4 months and have put almost 5,000 trouble-free miles on it, including several long road trips.

The Vehicle
Quiet, roomy, comfortable, attractive, safe, and reliable.
Very agile steering -- this huge vehicle is very nimble in parking lots and tight corners.
I think the base XLE is a very good value, especially with an after-market DVD player.
In my opinion the premium package and limited versions are too expensive, and the AWD version seems to have some disadvantages.

The Competition
There are lots of great minivans on the market but the Sienna was an easy choice for us.
We’ve always found Hondas to be uncomfortable, and I’ve never been impressed by the Odyssey’s consumer reviews.
The Kia is nice, but we thought the Sienna was much more attractive and we were surprised how little difference there is in the price.
The Quest’s styling is polarizing and controversial (once again) and the limited cargo situation was an issue for us despite its beautiful interior.
Finally, I just don’t trust Chrysler/Dodge quality (whether that’s fair or not).

Final words
I think the “cheap interior” controversy is
a little over-hyped.
The 2011 XLE cabin is much more attractive than the 2010 Sienna or the 2011 Sedona.

Additionally, since there is absolutely no center column, this interior just feels much more spacious then most other vehicles.
Being a practical, price-conscious consumer, I would have loved to have saved money by buying a used Sienna, but the used Siennas are so bizarrely expensive it’s just not worth it.
Bottom Line:
Highly recommended.
We are very happy with our 2011 Toyota Sienna XLE.

Nimble maneuvering, spacious interior, satellite radio (how did we live without it). Bisque interior looks great.

Bigger moonroof. Power doors seem prone to occassional glitches. Wish the front passenger seat was a power seat. It's too easy for the kids to leave one of the reading lights on in the back--those should be extinguished when the car is locked.