Used 2008 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

2008 Toyota Sienna CE
By billiam

2008 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This van is well appointed even for the low end model. However, at low speed, the transmission is very slow to shift with a rev that is unnerving. The sliding doors just a few months after purchase have squeaked even though there have been several visits to the dealer. I will be taking my van back to the shop again soon for this problem. If the simple things not being done right bug you. Avoid this vehicle until there is a major redesign. Also there is the interior noise of the engine. I thought I was driving a diesel.

Well appointed for low end model. Cruise control is nice. How the lights turn on when entering the vehicle.

Fix the design of the sliding door. Change the transmission and the engine noise.

So far, an excellent vehicle
By Paul

2008 Toyota Sienna Limited 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We just completed a 2000 mile trip from VA to FL and the van now has almost 7000 miles. The ride and comfort were excellent. The vehicle tends to exhibit a delayed response from the trans at some points. Not sure what that is all about. Still not sure what mileage we got on the road but the city mileage is as advertised. Lots of room in the van and it is much quieter than our 2001 Grand Caravan. Acceleration is also excellent. The laser cruise is accurate but you need to plan your lane changes to accommodate how it operates. Not at all happy that the navigation is not operable when vehicle moves even by passenger. Almost a waste!!! Other than that, we are very pleased with our first Toyota.

Sunroof, navigation capabilities (only when stationary - it won't operate by touch), laser cruise, power folding mirrors, quiet ride, audio and entertainment system, household plug outlet

The navigation is our biggest complaint. I can't believe you can't adjust the navigation when the vehicle is moving. Yes, safety is important but what about passenger use? I have a family of 5 to manage on long trips. Please fix this and provide an override feature. The tires don't grip well in rain

"Simon the Sienna"
By Paul

2008 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I had a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country that we traded in for the Sienna. Oh what a power play move!! The Sienna rides way, way better than the Town and Country. Ours is silver shadow pearl. When we bought the Sienna home, our kids went crazy! They immediately fell in love with it. Even our dog fell in love with it. This will be our baby for a good long time. It is kid friendly, family friendly, and dog family. It's like a part of your family. No wonder why many people own these. A lot of our family members own these, and love them too! We absolutely love it. Simon is the minivan's name, and he is truly loved by his family.

Ride is super! The versatility? Can't beat it! Handling? Super! Gas mileage? Fine. Roominess? Top notch.

These minivans must have back up cameras no matter which model it is. Needs nothing else.

Good but test drive with care
By cos

2008 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The interior and exterior quality are excellent with no problems. It handles well and acceleration is very good; overall, a reliable and comfortable vehicle. But a vibration telegraphs into the engine compartment while gears shift and over the road making for a tiring drive; transmission slips at low speeds. Driveability is on the low end for a new vehicle. (Be careful when test driving and take nothing for granted.) Vehicle is 1 year old with fifteen thousand miles; 14 to 17 mpg around town, broke 30 mpg over the road once, now barely breaks 20. Test drive with care and get one of the good ones. (Will think twice about another Toyota vehicle.)

Very good build quality inside and out. Very good reliability. Comfortable interior.

More attention paid it seems to fit and finish rather than quality of drive train components.

Weak Shifting, Steering and Mileage
By John

2008 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Acceptable performance at best. Sadly disappointed in several key features. Shifting at low engine speeds frequently causes unacceptable shift quality from 1st to 2nd gear. Intermittent but you see it way too often. Very poor gas mileage. I assume many of those who post good mileage are relying upon their electronic readout in the van. My inaccurate readout tells me I get 26+ MPG highway while the gas pump says 21 MPG at best. Same or worse mileage in town than if I drive our 10 year old beater Plymouth van! The engine change Toyota made in their vans a few years back provides twice the noise of the previous engine. The steering is acceptable at best but the weakest of any brand we drove.

Overall comfort, and performance. I can only hope Toyota lives up to its reputation for dependability. That was the primary reason for our purchasing this brand. Still within 500 miles it's had two minor electronic issues already.

Transmission shift points at low speeds need drastic improvement. Often winds out in first gear. Steering is weak but acceptable. Engine noise too loud for today's technologies. Toyota still has one of the best products out there but they won't for long if they keep letting things slip this badly.