Used 2006 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Longest I have ever owned a vehicle!
By Deb

2006 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Sienna in 2007 with 18,000 miles, she now has 205,000 miles. Runs great! Only major repair was a timing belt around 100,000 miles.

Best van ever!
By YaleMom

2006 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It took me nine months of research before buying my van new. I got a great deal and I have never regretted my decision. My van now has over 305,000 miles on it and I have never broke down anywhere! I get all of the regular servicing and repairs done at the dealership (always using their coupons) and have spent less than $1,500 on repairs over the years including: a/c blower, wheel bearing, new callipers and drums, as well as recently a new starter. I can only hope and pray that the next vehicle I purchase will be as reliable!

My Sienna is falling apart
By sienna_06

2006 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Update on Sienna as of 3/10/17 The van's engine still runs strong and I've had no problems with the engine or transmission since purchasing the van new. However, I was told by the dealership that the transmission is now leaking. I am still VERY disappointed with the parts that have been replaced on the van by a Toyota dealership not lasting like I feel they should. Seems I am only getting 1/2 life on the replaced Toyota parts such as the rack-n-pinion, shocks, struts, and axles. The original parts lasted me over 215,000 miles, and these genuine Toyota replacement parts haven't even lasted 90,000 miles. A big disappointment.
I've owned my Sienna since it was new.
I now have over 300,000 miles on my van.
It has given me little problem over the years, but now seems to be falling apart. It's been one thing after another. This includes the interior and exterior parts. So it would appear that the interior's life expectancy is about 10 years when the plastic parts start cracking and breaking, and when the electrical starts to give problems.
The tires still wear unevenly and need replacing at about 1/2 life even with regular alignments & tire rotations.
I've been happy with the van until it hit the 10 year mark and about 280,000 miles. Was hoping to get 400,000 miles on the van before letting her go. But she won't make it that far.

(2) Transmissions in 150K Miles?!?!?
By alb2014

2006 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

It is acceptable for you to expect go through (2) transmissions on a family owned and operated mini van to get 150K miles out of a $40K "luxury" vehicle?

First transmission was "replaced" at 57K, under warranty.

Currently at 148K miles. Facing a $2000 bill from the Toyota dealer for a transfer case seal repair.

Called Toyota. Assigned a "Case Manager", Dan. He states since there is no service record with Toyota after drive train warranty expired and the car has 148K miles, Toyota is not accountable. He would not transfer me to a supervisor and hung up on me. I called back and am waiting for a return call from a "Supervisor".

Our first and last Toyota purchase.

Comfortable interior space, JBL soundsystem, handles well

Drive train reliability, gas mileage, sliding side doors and rear tailgate problems

After BMWs & Saabs, didn't expect to love this van
By anthony94114

2006 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving. Always have. When, professionally my hauling needs exceeded the Saab and BMW wagons I've had, I hunted for a van. Ultimately, the combo of power folding mirrors, gated shifting, sunroof and no run-flats was what sold me. Not passion. I just needed those things to be content.

I found a CPO 40,000 mile XLE that had been well taken care of. Then I added a Diamond Certified Toyota warranty when I found out they were pretty cheap.

It was a total surprise to realize this rig is a great driver. You have to shift it manually to really use the transmission best, both for accelleration and braking but carving HWY 1 in rural Marin County is a blast. at 125k now, it's still super.

Update, 6/27/16
The Sienna now has 178,000 miles. Still quite stunning. We also bought a newer 2011 Sienna Limited. I think I still like the '06 better. In hindsight, the seats are better, acceleration feels matched and the van at this high mileage is still in rattle-y compared to the 2011 which has low grade rattles all over. We do need to replace some expensive a/c systems but after a recent fluid chance and safety checkup, the mechanic couldn't stop raving about how tight and strong it is. We agree. A very solid automobile. I've never owned anything with this many miles and I still trust it implicitly.