Used 2005 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews - 239 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

We have owned this van 4 years now.....
By myfj40

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Not a bad van by any means. We have grown very comfortable with it and can rely on it to get us were we need to be every time.

When we first bought it (pre-owned) we had an intermittent problem with the front blower not working. In troubleshooting that it seemed as though the "techs" had torn into the problem and never located the culprit....The relay had a manufacturing defect; as did the rest of the identical ones in the van. After ordering replacement relays (From Japan and not Tennessee as were the factory ones) it has worked finer ever since. Sometimes it is worth it to buy parts that are built correctly !!!

Reliable form of transportation. Really has just standard features in all vans now. I have always liked the way Toyota's controls are so intuitive to use. Maybe that is because they are so similar from one Toyota to the next and I have just driven so many of them...... It does have a very smooth drivetrain. I have never had any complaints about the ride either.

I have been a Toyota nut for years, but am disappointed in their slip away from the quality that they built their company on..... Power sliding door quit... Unlock actuator for release went bad. Have to replace the whole assembly to fix it. Not worth the money !!! Clear coat on door is peeling off. I admit to not waxing enough, but seriously? A 2005 ? When we first bought it (pre-owned) we had an intermittent problem with the front blower. The relay had a manufacturing defect; as did the other identical ones in the van. After ordering replacement relays (From Japan and not factory Denso ones) it has worked fine ever since. Sometimes it is worth it to buy parts that are built correctly !!

Was in love, but now just in 'like'...
By wismom

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Loved this van when I bought it used in 2009. Spacious interior, reliable. Then it let me down.
I opened the sliding passenger door and it wouldn't shut. Tried to override to manual...but no luck. Still wouldn't shut.
Called Toyota, they filed a claim and provided a # then said management occassionally 'reviews'. But they could do nothing. Called dealership and they said they've never heard of such a thing.
Went online and TONS of Sienna owners are dealing with the same issue. Apparently it is with the cable in the door. It either frays, jambs, or has other issues. Cutting the cable is a quick cheap solution and works! Now I carry a wire cutter for when the other door fails.

Roomy, lots of storage, cup holders, and very reliable.

Fix the sliding door cable issue. Or at least provide a solution so a person can manually override the system and close the door. This is a big safety issue!

Stay away from 2005...
By jinxx15

2005 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2005 Toyota Sienna in June 2009, had it till May 2011. We started to notice a ticking noise coming from below the car, turns out the tranny was done, and we also found out later that week that the radiator was leaking! They wanted 4200$ to fix the darn thing! When we traded it in it for a new car, it turns out that 5 years earlier, the van had been in a 7000$ wreck which Guelph Toyota failed to disclose... I would never go Toyota again.

Smooth ride, generally good interior materials, nice to drive, lots of space for everything, and smooth handling.

Slow transmission performance, uncomfortable 3rd row (very lacking in thigh support), blind zones galore, and just a little bit underpowered.

Good choice, only complaint was cost
By Thomas Mommy

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love this van. I drove 2 dr sport cars before motherhood. I love cars, and this fits me as a woman who loves cars. As good as it gets, always comfortable driving long distance with no breakdown fears. I have drove nine days alone in Toyota models over the years with NO FEAR. I had power door replaced under warranty. Only real problem with 2005 model. I have learned to have general suggested belts, brakes, and other repairs done by local mechanic verse dealership to save on cost. Recently had the two belts for alternator and AC replaced due to loud squealing noise for two months. I believe this only happened because I moved into Mountain regions and ran the AC hard in the mountains.

Seats, for short lady is great. Ease of moving around seats for storage without another adult to get the job done. Love the auto side door for small children.

Recent issue with paint chipping on fender near auto door. I most get estimate from auto-body repair before winter. Also if you purchase used, find out if original owner had auto door replaced under warranty. If replaced its GREAT! If not, it can be a pain. I spent one afternoon waiting on repair.

Fine Van
By Tom

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 92,000 miles; now has 101,000 miles and have loved every mile. Replaced a 2006 le that gave excellent service but I wanted to own one with all of the extra button spaces used so this xle limited awd has it all! Run flat tires were replaced with regular tires so I had to buy a spare but found a new one at a salvage yard for 100.00. Gas mileage has been about 24 mpg but the awd grip makes up for the 2 mpg less that the le. Have had no problems with anything and have taken three 1000 mile trips this summer. The only minor problem was a frozen bolt when I had the timing belt changed but the cost was minimal. It drives and rides superbly and makes long trips a pleasure.

Handling and ride comfort ,DVD , power sliding doors and especially the power lift gate.

AWD models cannot mount a spare underneath so the spare takes up some trunk space .