Used 2005 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews - 238 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

It started off so well
By nashvegasmom

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought van brand new after bad Chrysler T&C.
The first 3 years were great.
Here is the laundry list of problems we have encountered, none unique to us: rear door not staying up - repaired b4 recall issued, tires wear extremely quickly even w/ regular rotation, radio does not respond to buttons correctly and often has no display or only partial digital display, gear shift clip broken so have to hold with one hand while removing keys from ignition when you park, manual side door handle broken-2X, gasket around windshield detached and dealer blamed on auto carwashes that I rarely used, side doors freeze shut every winter-in NASHVILLE!, auto door no longer works w/buttons - must start manually

Spacious

All of the things I mentioned above should not happen. Most have been listed as problems with numerous owners. I have just turned over 100K and I expect to have some problems but not the kinds I listed above. We bought a Tundra in 2010 that has had no problems so far but we are just getting to the 3rd anniversary of ownership. I hope it won't be the same experience.

Not thrilled with Quality does not feel like Toyota product
By gigi24

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I am really disappointed about the quality of 2005 Toyota Sienna.
It has 112,000 miles and about 8 months ago things starts braking one at a time.
Here are some of the issues I have uncounted.

* Tries are rotated at every 5,000 miles and alignment at every 15,000 miles still Tires wear at an angle.
* Cracks start appearing on the dash board, now cracks are expanded across entire dash board.
* Power steering rack start leaking on the both ends
and dealer wants $1,800 replace it
* Rubbers hosing that holds antenna broken and other rubber items stats cracking
The glue that holds glass to the windows motor came off .
* Tailgate struts broken rear door does not keep up.

No road noise and nice handling

Before this Sienna I had 98 Honda Odyssey for 8 years with 150,000 miles and never had any issues except regular maintenance. I am not thrilled about Toyota Quality hopefully someone from Toyota paying attention to their customers. Hope they are not continue the same quality for their 2012 or 2013 models. Given a chance will opt out to Odyssey for my next replacement.

Good Van / Avoid Crooked Dealerships
By j_ly

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2005 Sienna used from a private party in 2007 with 40,000 miles and I have over 130,000 miles on it today.
I put new Michelin tires from Sams Club on at 90,000 miles (rotate every 10K) and they still have over half of their tread life. I changed spark plugs and plug wires as well as the timing belt at 110,000 miles.
That's it!

I received a recall notice for the spare tire holder so had to bring to dealership.
When I got my van back I was told I needed a new radiator ($800) and cabin air filter ($80).
I brought the van back to my mechanic and he said the radiator was fine and took 2 minutes to change the cabin filter ($15).
That was 15,000 miles ago!

Reliability. After getting fed up with lemons from General Motors, I switched to Toyota. I have had great experiences with this Sienna as well as my 2001 Avalon. Because Toyota builds quality, it should be expected that their dealerships are hypochondriacs or straight up crooked. Avoid the dealerships and you'll love your Toyota!

I live in Minnesota and deal with harsh winter driving conditions. The road salt seems to corrode the under-body more than on other vehicles I've owned.

Tires replaced to often!
By leanneasa

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 2005 Limited Sienna Van brand new.
We have had to replace the tires every 23 to 26,000 miles.
We have had the tires rotated, alligned and balanced as suggested.
The tire manufactures cannot figure out why the tires will not last and have been replacing them free because they are not lasting until the warranty period is up.
Firestone has given us 3 free sets of tires, Gateway gave us 1 free and 1 prorated.
The local Toyota service manager told me that this is just the way the vans ride and it is normal?????
BEWARE

We have owned this van 4 years now.....
By myfj40

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Not a bad van by any means. We have grown very comfortable with it and can rely on it to get us were we need to be every time.

When we first bought it (pre-owned) we had an intermittent problem with the front blower not working. In troubleshooting that it seemed as though the "techs" had torn into the problem and never located the culprit....The relay had a manufacturing defect; as did the rest of the identical ones in the van. After ordering replacement relays (From Japan and not Tennessee as were the factory ones) it has worked finer ever since. Sometimes it is worth it to buy parts that are built correctly !!!

Reliable form of transportation. Really has just standard features in all vans now. I have always liked the way Toyota's controls are so intuitive to use. Maybe that is because they are so similar from one Toyota to the next and I have just driven so many of them...... It does have a very smooth drivetrain. I have never had any complaints about the ride either.

I have been a Toyota nut for years, but am disappointed in their slip away from the quality that they built their company on..... Power sliding door quit... Unlock actuator for release went bad. Have to replace the whole assembly to fix it. Not worth the money !!! Clear coat on door is peeling off. I admit to not waxing enough, but seriously? A 2005 ? When we first bought it (pre-owned) we had an intermittent problem with the front blower. The relay had a manufacturing defect; as did the other identical ones in the van. After ordering replacement relays (From Japan and not factory Denso ones) it has worked fine ever since. Sometimes it is worth it to buy parts that are built correctly !!