Used 2004 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews - 743 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

'04 Sienna LE 7-passenger
By jrobey747

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I recently purchased a used '04 Sienna w/122,000 miles on it.
I didn't think twice about buying this Sienna because of Toyota's reliabilty (we also own a '02 Camry w/175,000 miles on it).
The model we got is the LE 7-passenger w/leather interior.
It is a very comfortable vehicle to ride in and fun to drive, even though it's a minivan.
Other than some slight vibration in the dash the Sienna drives like new, very smooth and quiet.
My wife loves the right rear sliding door that opens w/a push of a button.
Although, I have heard of many instances when the chain breaks in that power sliding door being a costly repair (over $1400 I believe).
We love the minivan life!

Leather, moonroof, cd-player, storage, functionality, reliability, seating capacity

XLE Limited 406,000 Miles with only Minor Issues
By walleyeman57

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this van with 60K miles on it in 2007.
Since then I have put over 240 more.
This has been the most reliable car or truck I have ever owned.
The items I have repaired or replaced include tires, brakes, spark plugs, and two timing belts.
I had to have a new A/C compressor last summer.
Both power sliding door cables broke some time ago but I have not fixed them because the doors open and close with one finger-they are a waste.
This van still has the original alternator, starter, shocks, springs and of course engine and transmission.
It rides and drives nice with no real issues.
I would rate the comfort very good.
Well, with well over 400,000 this van remains a daily driver for our family. Three timing belt changes (two with water pumps) three spark plug changes, two radiators, a couple strut changes. I do a transmission drain and fill every year. This van just keeps on going. No rust to speak of-and we live in MI where our roads are heavily salted at least 4 months out of the year. It is almost scary that the alternator, starter, and of course engine and transmission are original . We still use this van for long road trips-but I did put the title in the glove box just in case we have to make a quick trade while far from home. My 92 YO mother comments that she loves the smooth and comfortable ride. This van has lasted more than twice as long as the two Dodge vans we had in the past (190K and 170K) and shows no signs of giving up. Yes, you do have to maintain it. I change the oil about every 5-10K miles in addition to the trans fluid changes. I add up what we spend on repairs and maintenance every year and it still does not make sense for us to lay out another $40K for a new one. I think Toyota never got the message of planned obsolescence. This van is used in mixed driving as we live in the country but travel to urban areas at least 3 times per week.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!
By nc3

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a complete lemon.
I have had so many things go wrong with this car and Toyota DOES NOT CARE.
This will be the last Toyota I ever buy.
The sliding door has been broken at least four times, I've had to spend money to replace several things in the drive shaft at a cost of hundreds of dollars, things fall apart and the quality sucks.

Seats 8

Everything

Get ripped off by Toyota
By sdgirl2

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My 2004 Toyota Sienna had a faulty radiator.
Who has to replace a radiator in today's cars?
I contacted Toyota regarding this and they didn't care.
I then had trouble with my power steering that has a recall on 2004 Sienna's but guess what? My particular vin # is not covered under the recall.
Coincidence?
I think not!
I was told by my mechanic that Toyota takes about 1 in 3 calls and does something about it.
Oh, also you get to replace the Timing Belt at 90,0000 miles to the tune of $1500!
I bought this car thinking I could get a good 200,000 miles out of it (because according to the dealer - this is a quality vehicle and that's why we don't dicker on prices!).
I don't think so!!!

Not bad!
By ksgirl1

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 04 used in 2008 with 55Kmi. I just sold it in Oct. with 90K miles. I thought it was a great car. Super comfy and great smooth and quiet ride. My complaints would be the heated seats never seemed to get more than lukewarm. I also thought it took awhile to warm the interior of this car in the winter. The other issue we had was the DVD player would sometimes not eject the discs but other than that it was a great car for us. The only reason I sold it was because I was ready for something non "mom like". I would reccomend.

Navigation with touch screen was great. DVD player was great when it worked properly, the rear outlet was great for the kids to plug in their DSi's. Loved the power liftgate and power doors. Loved the big sunroof and the small back vent windows to circulate air.

Darker interior carpet. I am very picky about keeping my car clean and the light grey carpet was very hard to keep clean with snow boots, soccer cleats etc.